Flushometer and Urinal Choices

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbvette

Reaction score
Hi - I am installing a Urinal in my new shop and already ordered and have on hand a Sloan 186-1 SMO 1.0 gpf Flushometer with side mount automatic sensor.

SLOAN 186-1 1.0GPF SMO FLUSHOMETER - HDSupplySolutions.com

I have been trying to decide between the Kohler K4960 Washdown urinal, K5016 siphon jet urinal, or K4989 siphon jet. I didn't realize there were different types of flushometers, besides the GPF settings and pipe size connections, at least Kohler lists both washdown and siphon jet flushometers and calls for different models for these specific urinals I list. Sloan didn't seem to list a difference in the flushometer. Is there a difference in the way the water is sent through the valve for each type? What is the flushometer I have best for, or can I use it with any of the urinals I am considering? I want it to flush well, and this is my first attempt at using commercial plumbing fixtures at home.......so I am out of my league on this project as far as choosing the right items..........thx, Craig

Sloan flush valves bodies are pretty much the same. It is the diaphragm assembly used that changes the way they flush. Use a Sloan or Zurn. the parts are interchangeable. The kohler valve are relatively new and I do not have any experience with their reliability. A side mount auto actuator screws into the same place a manual handle would go. and if it malfunctions you can just install a manual handle. The Sloan Optima with auto actuator in the cap is much more complicated and the diaphragm are more expensive to replace.

Thx John and Mr David......I sure appreciate the assist. I got the Sloan flushometer as I have seen them for years and they are widely used in public restrooms, so I figured I can't go wrong. I did see the K4989 came in rear spud and top spud. I was curious, willl the K4989 freshman also have some washdown flush from the top of the urinal on the back wall besides the siphon jet action in the bottom, or is the siphon jet the only action. Since this is in my home, I think I would prefer something that flushed the back wall too. I was leaning towards the Barton K4960 since it was a bit cheaper, but I am not sure if the washdown flush at 1.0 GPF is as thorough as a siphon jet flush. Thx again guys, sure glad I found this site......Craig

Glad to help.
Come back and let us know how it turned out. We also like to chat about Jeeps, building dog houses, patios, BBQ, Beer and making knives

Hi - thx again for help on chosing flushometer and urinal choices for my garage project. I have the Sloan side mount sensing SMO flushomter 3/4" top spud valve 1.0 gpf, and am about to order the urinal. I happened to be traveling this weekend and observed two different Kohler urinals at airports and businesses, I think one was the washdown K 4960-ET-0 Bardon model, the other the Freshman K-4989-T-0 siphon jet model. I wanted to make sure the siphon jet did have some washdown function for the back wall, I called Kohler and they verified there are 5 small holes on the back for that, and I did note some washdown on the one I used this weekend. It was far noisier than the washdown model, worse for home, but a great positive flush. I have half inch feed pipes to my valve for water, with about 70psi pressure. I read someplace these commercial flushometers should have 3/4" feed lines. Am I at risk of partial flush........would one urinal style perform better in my house, I guess I could set up a small tank with an airhead and larger plumbing near the urinal but what a pain.....any thoughts on which urinal I should order? I was also thinking black and I can get the Bardon in black right away, vs 8 week order on the Freshman.......so the washdown is far less wait to get the color I want........

Also - do they both have a pool of water present in the bowl all the time.....I forgot to pay attention. I have hard water, and will probably get a scale line, maybe with black as a color choice that is bad from a visibility perspective.......Craig

Craig

Last edited:
Yes they all hold a little water in the bottom. That would be the trap seal to keep out the sewer gases.

Get for a BROWN urinal .
Or better yet, get a PINK one if you want a conversation piece.

You should put one in you man cave.
Oh. To late you already remodeled it.

Actually, this is my man cave........it is out in the garage. I added a 3 car 1000 sq ft area with 3 autolifts, and both metal and woodworking machines I restore, to the original 2 car garage. I plan to have that cool epoxy floor with chips, a flat screen TV, a beer fridge, plus my cleanup room in front with the stainless steel utility sink and now a fancy auto flush urinal. Keeps the guys visiting from going in the house to use the bathroom, and appease my wife.......LOL. I figure when all done, I may not need to go in the house anymore except to sleep...... LOL

Maybe a LazyBoy chair would be good too........then I could even sleep out there..........hmmm.....

.....Craig

Last edited:
Hi - thx again for help on chosing flushometer and urinal choices for my garage project. I have the Sloan side mount sensing SMO flushomter 3/4" top spud valve 1.0 gpf, and am about to order the urinal. I happened to be traveling this weekend and observed two different Kohler urinals at airports and businesses, I think one was the washdown K 4960-ET-0 Bardon model, the other the Freshman K-4989-T-0 siphon jet model. I wanted to make sure the siphon jet did have some washdown function for the back wall, I called Kohler and they verified there are 5 small holes on the back for that, and I did note some washdown on the one I used this weekend. It was far noisier than the washdown model, worse for home, but a great positive flush. I have half inch feed pipes to my valve for water, with about 70psi pressure. I read someplace these commercial flushometers should have 3/4" feed lines. Am I at risk of partial flush........would one urinal style perform better in my house, I guess I could set up a small tank with an airhead and larger plumbing near the urinal but what a pain.....any thoughts on which urinal I should order? I was also thinking black and I can get the Bardon in black right away, vs 8 week order on the Freshman.......so the washdown is far less wait to get the color I want........

Also - do they both have a pool of water present in the bowl all the time.....I forgot to pay attention. I have hard water, and will probably get a scale line, maybe with black as a color choice that is bad from a visibility perspective.......Craig

Craig

You may have a problem with the 1/2" line not having enough volume to make a complete flush.

John

Yes, I was worried about that too being half inch line. This was why I was wondering if a washdown vs siphon jet was better, since it just flushes slowly. I also thought about constructing a tank with an air head that had 3/4" outlet to the urinal to give it a boost and more water quickly.

Any thoughts appreciated......Craig

With 70 PSI of wtr pressure I don't think you will have a problem flushing the urinal using a 1/2" supply. You'll want to rough out a 3/4" supply and take it back as far as you can on the 1/2". Most urinal stop valves get turned/throttled down to a minimum unless you want to mop the floor every time you flush.

funny urinal photos
Okay, I just spent about a 1/2 hour or more looking at urinals.
I have lost my mind. But at least they where funny urinals.

humorous-urinal-spot-attached-to-ba.jpg

urinal.jpg

Pink Urinal.jpg

Last edited:
I bet that bar urinal is in the UK. I have traveled there a lot, and modesty is not the same as in the states. Women will come on in and clean the bathrooms in public places without knocking or worrying.......and there are seldom separators. It is also common to see someone taking a whiz on the side of the road out in the open too. LOL........different culture.....Craig

Thx for the tip on the plumbing method...........guess I will get this puppy on order and see how it comes out!......Craig

Back