Flushing problems: Is it the plumbing or the toilets?

Discussion in 'Toilets and Sinks' started by Bleb Nevus, Nov 7, 2018.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

1. Nov 7, 2018 #1

Bleb Nevus

Bleb Nevus

Bleb Nevus

I have no plumbing experience, so this is a very basic question. I moved into a newly constructed condo six years ago. Over time, all three of my toilets -- American Standard 4010 -- have given me problems (intermittently, not constantly). Either they back up and have to be plunged or they seem to flush reluctantly. I'm open to researching and buying replacement toilets (or bowl only? tank only?), but I'd hate to do that if the problem turns out to be clogged or defective pipes. How do I know?

2. Nov 8, 2018 #2

Geofd

Geofd

Geofd

Professional Professional

i have 2 American standard toilets exactly identical one works fine the other flushes fine most of the time but doesn't finish the flush other times I never like these toilets but
    the one that flushes fine is on the main floor so we don use the other that much I have change everything in the tank used exact replacement parts cleaned the jets and any other holes in the bowl they are older 90s toilets …….. my guess is it your toilets....in the back of the tank there are numbers either stamped in the tank or printed on itthere are 4 numbers probably the onesyou mentioned....those wil give you exact replacement parts...try that on one toilet first and see what happens....the flapper may have a yellow float...read the back of the package....you need to put the flapper a certain number of beads away from the flapper

3. Nov 8, 2018 #3

voletl

voletl

voletl

Fill a rather large bucket with water and dump it into each of the toilets if the water goes down perfectly fine then it's the innards of your toilets that are messed up if the water backs up then you have some type of blockage

4. Nov 9, 2018 at 12:46 PM #4

Bleb Nevus

Bleb Nevus

Bleb Nevus

Thanks for these replies. Wondering if anyone else who has experience with these things might weigh in...

5. Nov 9, 2018 at 2:40 PM #5

jeffmattero76

jeffmattero76

jeffmattero76

The two guys above are plumbers, so I would guess they have seen this before. They have given you the answer on how to diagnose your problem. What else are you looking for?

mike fiore and GReynolds929 like this.
  6. Nov 10, 2018 at 7:15 PM #6

mike fiore

mike fiore

mike fiore

Its unlikely but i have seen clogged vent pipe cause issues. I changed old toilet out for a customer for those same reasons thinking its an old toilet and jets are clogged. Installed new toilet and had same issues. finally checked vent from roof and found clogged with leaves or some type of nest. once i cleaned vent pipe toilet worked great. not saying thats the issue but it might be worth a look.