Floor drain question (pics)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdw118

Reaction score
Hello all, I’m new here and have a question about a floor drain in my basement for the washer and a bathroom shower.

Here’s the pics
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0rOSO4yGiWl-hA2nfkOWwbcQA

As you can see in the pics, the pvc pipe goes from the shower, through the wall and into the drain. Every few months we start having problems with the toilet not flushing, and the floor drain can’t keep up with the washer drain, so it over flows and then we have to call the rooter service.

My question is, does anyone know what the white cap could possibly be for in the floor drain? I unscrewed it and ran a hand auger through it a ways.

Appreciate any help!

Looks like there is a plug installed the floor drain to keep water from coming back up it. But that negates, it functioning as a floor drain.

There are one way valves that you can install in floor drains to prevent backflow, which still allow the drain to function.

The plug is just a side plug. Helps keep sewer gases out since it's directly connected to the sewer. Basically a clean out for the floor drain.

The floor drain has a trap in it. The white plug bypasses the trap so a plumber can auger the drain. If your drill auger can not clear it you most likely need a longer cable or bigger auger.

The floor drain has a trap in it. The white plug bypasses the trap so a plumber can auger the drain. If your drill auger can not clear it you most likely need a longer cable or bigger auger.
Sounds like you may not have seen the pictures. There is no cleanout access separate from the floor drain or built into it. Although there should be a cleanout somewhere for the buried piping.

A drain like that. That I assume has only 1 direction out to main. I would use a drain bladder fitting in garden hose and stick in pipe. Just far enough to hold it inside pipe. Have some turn valve on feeding garden hose and hold bladder in drain. First try only go for about 3 seconds. Just to kinda see what could possibly happen. Check the other drains. If your good for no blow backs then stick bladder in and let it rip for 10-15 seconds. Check everything again. If still clear of blow back from other drains then let it run till you feel good that it’s open. But constantly aware that your pressuring a drain line. Checking for gurgles in other areas of basement. Then run hot water to that drain and let it flow for a good while to kinda steam up the grime then blow it with bladder again. You should be good for a little while. But budget for replacement soon.

Latest posts

Back