floating septic tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IFIXH20

HERE TO HELP
Professional
Reaction score
Too much rain caused this ( and maybe improper installation), but system still working.

That is funny looking. That is a good reason to use a concrete septic tank.

Chris, I don't think that is the septic tank. It's a pump system and that is the pump chamber. The green PVC line going into it is coming from the septic tank.

John

It looks like the float hung up and emptied the tank. Then it became a boat. I had that happen to a brand new fuel oil tank I installed back in the 70's. 220 gallon in brown clay. Covered it up, it rained the next day and it was laying next to the hole when the guy came to fill it up.

Speedbump, I have also seen that happen up north with oil tanks. Down here I'm sure you have also seen a slab rough in PVC float out of the ground when left uncovered or not filled with water for a test.

John

I haven't seen that yet John, but I'm never near the new homes since I quit drilling wells.

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how open vessels float in water. Even if they are made of concrete. Just doesn't seem logical.

It's like seeing a pool come out of the ground when drained. Makes you wonder how battleships don't sink.

It's like seeing a pool come out of the ground when drained. Makes you wonder how battleships don't sink.
I did work at a house where the husband had drained the pool in the summer in the rainy season. This was years ago and I'll bet she's still not speaking to him.

Speedbump, I have also seen that happen up north with oil tanks. Down here I'm sure you have also seen a slab rough in PVC float out of the ground when left uncovered or not filled with water for a test.

John
Maybe 8 or so years ago, a helper and I were doing a rough up in Palm Coast, big custom house. We had the PVC drainage in, had the sewer in, had the waterpipe on the inside done, and almost had the water main dug. We were going to hook up the water main and then open the meter to use the water to fill the drainage pipe.

The storm came, along with enough lightning to run Superman back into a hidey hole. I didn't want to get struck, so we jumped in the truck to wait it out. After about 5 minutes of torrential downpours, I saw the pipe starting to float. We made a futile effort in the pouring rain and lightning to push it back down.

It took the two of us 6 hours to dig it back up and reset the pipe the next day.

That is a strange set up. Is that the pump chamber? The normal set up is with the septic tank closer to the home then the pump chamber after the tank.

John

You are correct,that is the pump tank. The main tank is to the left and a little closer to the house. Someone set the pump/float too low -- tank would just about drain completely when pump would turn on - not leaving enough water to help hold tank down.

It took the two of us 6 hours to dig it back up and reset the pipe the next day.

I've never experienced that, but one things for sure. You can't beat Mother Nature.

Latest posts

Back