Float switch malfunctions when doing laundry

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aligirl14

Reaction score
Hi hoping I can get some advice would be very much appreciated. My float switch behaves oddly but it only seems to happen when I do a load of laundry. It’s hard to explain but it kind of revs, it might run for a bit but doesn’t sound right and then when it turns off it usually doesn’t turn off properly it seems like it’s overheating. If I plug it in directly the pump sounds fine, it only sounds weird when piggybacked to the float switch. If I let it cool of then plug it in piggybacked it will finish pumping and the next time it goes (just from regular water use ex. showers and toilet flushes) it works fine. Any ideas? Thanks so much!

The only thing the float switch would cause is the pump

not turning on
Not turning off
The wrong type float switch being installed and the differential between on and off is too narrow. This will cause the pump to cut on snd off rapidly mimicking a basin that’s too small. Especially when you get a lot of flow, like a washing machine.

It shouldn’t be causing the pump to sound funny though, that I’ve ever heard.

If what you say is true, I’d replace the float. That’s not normal and that failure is not common.

Latest posts

Back