Float lever sticking & power to jet pump problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much, Valveman. I'll have my friend who is a certified electrician review that and will look at it better later. Absolutely exhausted today. I had to crawl under my house to run PEX and it was not easy. Some places I have plenty of room, others I can't fit at all, and some I really had to squeeze through. Friend was ready to crawl under and rescue me bc he got worried a few times.

Stainless steel does seem to work better with hard water than brass does.

So, I'm trying to sort out the best way to hook in the CSV1A if I order it. I'm also thinking of replacing my 22gallon fiberglass tank with this one: https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith-4-6-Gallon-Vertical-Pressure-Tank/1000565599
1614464044980.png
It has a 3/4" inlet/outlet. Not sure if it can work upside down.

I've been told the pressure switch is probably too far from the pump already which might explain some of the chattering and issues.

Outlet on my J10S pump is 1" I believe. I know CSV has female threaded 1-1/4". So I would have to use an adapter to get to that size. I'm thinking a 1"x12" male threaded SS pipe out the top of the pump, followed by a 1" street elbow, an adapter to go from 1" female to 1-1/4" male. Then in to the CSV.

If the pump is raised up more, I will be able to reach things more easily-- although, I may need to find some way to stabilize the tank and make sure nothing falls over.

I want to move the pressure switch up closer to the tank (maybe having a 3/4"x3/4"x1/4" tee branching off from under the tank?) I still need to figure out where to put in the pressure gauge, pressure relief valve, and spigot for a hose. Those SS manifold things are too expensive. Then I will have to find a SS ball valve (although, I might actually have an 1-1/4" one already... I will have to check my bin).

I'm perusing through pictures & trying to find the most economical setup.

I kind of like this setup but that manifold is too expensive and I'd rather go a little more vertical. Like, have a pipe between the CSV1A and the tank. Maybe with a tee off to the right to have the pressure switch. Or a 4-way cross with adapters to go to the pressure switch and pressure gauge or something. Need to figure out best placement for the pressure relief valve and spigot.

The CSV1A is the manifold. It has 1" female threads in and out as well as the 1 1/4" male threads. Just plumb to the 1" female threads and you will not need any changeovers. There is also a 3/4" port on the bottom of the CSV1A for the tank. Tank can be up, down, or sideways, without any supports as a 4.5 gallon tank only hold 1 gallon of water and only weighs 10-12 pounds. The two 1/2" ports on the side of the CSV1A are for the pressure relief valve and pressure switch/pressure gauge. All of that stuff including a 4.5 gallon tank come in the PK1A kit.

If you just add some air to the top of the tank you will fix the waterlogging temporarily, until you can get it changed. I have gotten by that way for over a month just fine, they don't waterlog overnight. Add air until it's up to at least 25 pounds, if you put in too much it will just come out the faucet, no problem.

Thanks, RS. I'm not even sure if the water is going to the tank regularly because of the way it is set up. I worry that it's bypassing the tank entirely. The pump cuts on immediately every time water is turned on and shuts off shortly after it is turned off.

Thanks, Valveman. Having 1" will actually simplify things. I didn't realize the inside was female threaded and outside was male threaded (I guess I didn't look at pics closely enough). That will make things easier. I can find male threaded SS pipes in 1". I was thinking they had to be 1-1/4". I wonder if my 1-1/4" stainless steel flex hose can hook to the manifold. I'll have to revise my plans for options.
I think I'd rather have my tank on top going upward.

I got an e-mail from CSV customer service saying I could use the CSV125 set to 40psi since I have a 30/50 switch, but they said I could go up to 40/60. Also said I could re-use my existing pressure switch and mount it closer to the tank.

I wanted to go with an AO Smith tank because I have an AO Smith goulds pump (plus, that's what is available locally).

I saw this picture for the 125 on the CSV website and I like this setup, but I would want a cross on top to mount other things. I do like the idea of the manifold though. I could add a short pipe to the side outlets to hold things like pressure switches, gauge, spigot, pressure relief. I just need to figure out what would be best to put where. I want the switch to be accessible so I can change things out easily. I thought about getting the 1A and mounting it on it's side and then adding a cross or tee from the 3/4" port going to the tank to have the tank still on top. I will have to do some sketches.
1614651585627.png

I suppose I could use the 1A like this and add cross/tee at the top & then use the other ports on the manifold for other stuff. I definitely want to add a spigot and pressure relief valves since my existing system doesn't have those.

The use of crosses/tees coming out of the manifold lets me add more stuff and they aren't too expensive. But I'm trying to price out some fittings. Hard to find pex barb in stainless steel, but if I use my stainless steel hose thing & it doesn't leak, that might be better. Worst case, it leaks and I transition to PVC or use dielectric nipples or something to get to pex barb.

The CSV1A as in the PK1A kit has ports and includes a pressure relief valve. Just need a tee or tees anywhere after the kit for a faucet or faucets.

PK1A with Jet Pump vertical.JPG

Thanks. I would prefer a different tank that goes vertical with the opening of the tank in downward position-- I realize that is possible with the kit. Seeing the conduit on the wires reminds me I need to get some conduit for mine.

I do like that setup in the picture though. I suppose I could add an elbow to make the tank go up and have a tee with a hose spigot and pressure relief valve. I do want it taller than that so it will be easier to reach without bending.

I asked on the price of shipping and was only told "standard shipping" but I don't know the price of standard shipping. LOL. I did still want to get my own tank just because I can get it from a local store & not have to worry about the delivery people damaging it. Got a package recently that looked like it had been run over. The pressure gauge and switch on the same arm is a good idea.

Maybe something like this:
jetpumpCSV1Asketch1.png

And I can use adapters & such to run PEX or I can see if my 1-1/4" braided steel hose works.

There are lots of ways to plumb the PK1A kit. The closer you put the pressure tank from the pressure switch the better. Standard shipping is included in the price. You can get the PK1ALT, which the LT means less tank. There is still a wall mount kit in the LT that will let you install the tank and even the CSV up where you can see it without bending over. You can see a lot of different ways people have installed it here.
https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/reviews
And you can use Pex between the pump and the PK1A kit.
PK1A on jet pump.jpg

Thanks, Valveman. I have a metal shed that is rather flimsy so I can't mount anything to the wall & I don't want to put wood in a wet area like that. It's so flimsy that the wall bent in when my cow leaned on the shed.

Do you sell partial kits like the PK1A without the tank? I'm looking for the CSV1A valve with the pressure gauge and pressure relief valve as well as reduction fittings (although I can source those elsewhere). I found a ball valve hose bibb I liked.

I like the setup you have in the photo, but would need to find some way to support the tank. I suppose I could make something out of furniture grade PVC or try to repurpose something I have laying around.

I could move the pressure switch up to the tee going to the pressure tank- although I'll need to extend the wires. Ooh, reminds me to look for some conduit.

I appreciate these responses. I'm really hoping this will work for improving my system.

Will the CSV1A let me ugprade to a 40/60 switch if I find that 30/50 is not sufficient pressure? I think I might have had a 40/60 at some point. Either that or the replacement pressure tank isn't as good as the old one. I had an AO Smith Goulds tank before, but it completely died & the only one available at the time was the fiberglass garbage the repair guy got in a pinch.

The CSV1A can be adjusted between 15 PSI and 150 PSI. The pump is the limiting factor on how high you can turn up the pressure. Can't get it to blow up without being fuzzy, but that looks like a J10S pump? If so it will build a max of 74 PSI, which means it can be turned up to 40/60 no problem. You can get the PK1ALT, which the LT means Less Tank. You can also just mount the PK1A right on top of the pump and not mount it to a wall.
PK1A with Jet Pump vertical sized.jpg

Thank's again, Valveman. I'm looking at the price on the LT and it's still rather steep. I want to re-use my pressure switch. Do you sell any of the accessories (pressure gauge, valve, etc) separately on the site? I think I just need the 1A and the gauge because I can't find a good gauge online (and maybe the adapter for the gauge if it needs one).

I based this sketch off of available fittings. Some of the ones I wanted either weren't available or had horrible reviews-- things like they had missing threads, cracked, didn't seal etc or they were horridly expensive.
1615423109563.png

I based this sketch off of available fittings. Some of the ones I wanted either weren't available or had horrible reviews-- things like they had missing threads, cracked, didn't seal etc or they were horridly expensive.
View attachment 28466
Go to “ piping now “ and order your stainless. They’re out of New Orleans. I’m happy with their service and products. Check out their stainless. I’ve bought a lot from them.

Thanks, Twowaxhack. I made a new sketch based off of the parts I saw there. I checked my misc fittings bin that I took from the shed and discovered I have a 1-1/4" shutoff, a 1-1/4" short SS nipple, multiple pvc adapters/elbows etc. My pipe dope spilled but I cleaned it up and put it in a bag. Hope it's still good.

Tax will be a bear (10.45%) and I'm not sure what shipping will be, but hopefully it won't be too expensive.
1615448526441.png

Latest posts

Back