Flapper won't come off

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aravis

Reaction score
All the videos make swapping a flapper seem super easy, except that my old flapper won't come off. The holes are too small and not flexible enough to get them over the wings of the flapper holder. It appears the only way to get it off is to cut it. Is that ok to do? If so, what's the best way to cut it off without damaging anything or slicing my finger open?

Someone recommended just replace the entire guts, but that seems like a lot of extra work for a toilet that is only 3 years old. So I'm hoping there's just a way to get the flapper off and replace it.

Picture of the flapper for reference:

I've dealt with a similar flapper, and there was a trick to it. I seem to remember it lifts straight up and snaps off, or something similar. Yes, if you can't find the proper way, feel free to use side cutter pliers and snip away to remove it, but just be careful you do not snip off the white tabs that the flapper connects on to, or you will be replacing the entire flush assembly.

I've dealt with a similar flapper, and there was a trick to it. I seem to remember it lifts straight up and snaps off, or something similar. Yes, if you can't find the proper way, feel free to use side cutter pliers and snip away to remove it, but just be careful you do not snip off the white tabs that the flapper connects on to, or you will be replacing the entire flush assembly.

Thanks! I tried to remove it by lifting it or seeing if I could snap the plastic, it didn't work. I also tried to see if the white tabs move, but they don't. Guessing my best bet here is to use side cutter pliers. Also don't have a common brand of toilet (it's a Western?), so not finding anything helpful on the web.

Thanks for your help!

Here is their replacement flapper. Looks like you just bend outward at the bottom of the leg, and it will pop off. 56344-puWxAy.jpg

Here is their replacement flapper. Looks like you just bend outward at the bottom of the leg, and it will pop off. View attachment 23109

I found that as well and it convinced me there must be a way to get it off. So I really pulled at it and managed to jiggle it off after a few minutes. Replacement is on! Thanks for your help!

Yes, lift the bottom edge out and up,but keep a finger pressing down on the plastic ear of the flush valve, so you don’t snap it off from too much upward pressure.

If you do, you have to cut and file off both ears, then you can get a flapper with a ring that slides down over the overflow pipe, with new ears on it.

Latest posts

Back