Flapper replaced, still ghost flushes occasionally

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffeetime

Reaction score
My old flapper was leaking as I flushed, so I got it replaced. I've put a new flapper on the toilet (a Toto 3-inch), but occasionally when I flush it still won't form a tight seal so it'll leak. If I flush it again it usually fixes itself and seals properly.

This only happens 30% of the time so is there anything I could be doing to make the flapper seal properly all the time? Maybe the flapper chain is not at the right length or I need to put a weight on the flapper or any other suggestions?

Thanks for all of your help on this!

Take a Brillo sponge. Using the green side. Run it around flapper seat. Get the seat clean. The flapper has to be without wrinkles. Cheap brand toilets like the hard plastic flapper with tiny rubber seal underneath.

Take a Brillo sponge. Using the green side. Run it around flapper seat. Get the seat clean. The flapper has to be without wrinkles. Cheap brand toilets like the hard plastic flapper with tiny rubber seal underneath.
You described my toilet :) There's a tiny black rubber seal underneath. Looks clean so far though

But the hard plastic circle the flapper sits on. Clean that surface. Sometimes the old flapper leaves hunks of rubber on the seat

If not already remedied, did you lift cover and watch what happens on a few flushes. See if anything looked different when it didn't close tight vs when it did?

Wait let me back up. Your Toto is not cheap. You have a great toilet but the flappers do rot and leave residu on the big seat. But I did not mean to call Toto a cheap toilet. I looked over that.

You described my toilet :) There's a tiny black rubber seal underneath. Looks clean so far though
some of the toto toilets had a grey flapper with part of it being plastic....they are trouble some there are other flappers out there that work...IF that's your issue you cant get much better than toto

Wait let me back up. Your Toto is not cheap. You have a great toilet but the flappers do rot and leave residu on the big seat. But I did not mean to call Toto a cheap toilet. I looked over that.
I like to think that Toto toilets are quality but I have gone through two Fill valves and three flappers in 10 years. I have a Foremost in the other bathroom that I have not had to do anything but replace the handle twice in 10 years.

Latest posts

Back