flapper problems

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koh123

Reaction score
I purchased several antique toilets and replaced all the water closet guts with new stuff. Most of these toilets leak around the flapper. Some will not leaks for weeks then start leaking again. I have changed flappers, added lead shot weight to the flapper, tried Vaseline for a better seal, cleaned the flapper and its hole. Is there a not made in China flapper that works?

it is best to use the original flapper from the manufacture not some knock off. so if American standard then use American standard .

Post pictures.

Sometimes the seat that the flapper rests on gets dirty or corroded, and needs to be sanded or cleaned, or the chain hangs up, or flush lever does not move smoothly.

Or the flapper has too much play, and sometimes does not land in the right spot.

Using the correct chain mounting hole on the flush lever can help the flapper stay on course.

I purchased several antique toilets and replaced all the water closet guts with new stuff. Most of these toilets leak around the flapper. Some will not leaks for weeks then start leaking again. I have changed flappers, added lead shot weight to the flapper, tried Vaseline for a better seal, cleaned the flapper and its hole. Is there a not made in China flapper that works?
Post pics of the inside parts of your toilet standing above looking down. No need to get close ups.

The first toilet is a high-boy. Because the downtube is brass I purchased brass guts for it. I added a small piece of wood to the flush lever to make the chain line up with the flapper. Its a wood box with a plastic liner.

Attachments

• IMG_0831.jpg
    IMG_0831.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0855.jpg
    IMG_0855.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0858.jpg
    IMG_0858.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 9
The second toilet is a "Pillbox" style toilet. The guts in this one is plastic.

Attachments

• IMG_0834.JPG
    IMG_0834.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 7
Change the flapper to a different type.

The second toilet, replace the flapper. Try various ones. Basically same advice.

Where is the black refill hose that extends from the ballcock to the flushvalve fir this toilet ? It’s not installed in the pic. It must be clipped above the water line, like the first toilet you pictured.

If the end of the refill hose is below the water level in the tank, the ballcock will siphon and the toilet will cycle on/off once every 10-20 minutes or so. Ghost flush people have called it.

Nice toilets. Try to rethink the wood tank lever extension although it may not be your issue right now. Use brass or copper, something that doesn’t rot or rust.

Last edited:
Back