Flapper Closes Too Quickly - 1.6 GPF Toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haselsmasher

Reaction score
I have a 1.6 GPF toilet (circa 1995 or so) that does not empty the tank completely when it it flushed. The flapper closes very quickly. The only way to get a complete tank emptying is to hold down the handle.

I replaced the flapper. I put in a Fluidmaster adjustable flapper and, even with it on max flow setting, the flapper still closes early.

I have three of these toilets in my house. The other two work fine. I looked at the setups of the ones that are working well and I noticed on the ones that work well there is no water between the plastic tank "liner" that can be seen in the photo and the ceramic walls of the tank itself. However on the toilet I'm having troubles with, there *IS* water between that liner and the ceramic tank. That water in the gap between the plastic liner and the ceramic walls is at the same height of the water in the plastic liner.

When the toilet is flushed that water between the walls does NOT get reduced....it stays there until the tank refills. Last night prior to going to bed I shut off the supply line and did a complete flush. This morning that extra water in the gap was gone. I turned the supply line back on, filled the tank, and slowly the water level between the plastic and ceramic tank is rising.

I'm assuming this excess water is contributing to the incomplete tank emptying in some way. I should know my physics better - but maybe there is too much water pressure so that the air bubble in the flapper can't stay elevated during the flush? It seems "obvious" there is a leak in this plastic liner.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!

Jim

20180310_074013.jpg

inside the tank there numbers stamped into the tank
the brand should be visible behind the toilet seat
with that Info you should be able to get an exact
r
eplacement at a plumbing supply house

that looks like a fluidmaster toilet but I done see a name bring this pic with you

i just have a similar issue with my toilet at home no matter what i did to the flapper nothing changed
so i checked all holes under the rim and found the smaller hole in the toilet was clogged i cleared it and it flushes like brand new

Last edited:
Thanks.

Having water "leak" into the larger tank I can definitely see is an indicator of a problem (crack?) in the inner plastic tank. But does that extra water in the larger tank explain why the flapper closes so quickly?

I'll look for the numbers you describe and look for some replacement parts.

Thanks!

Jim

Wow , I have never seen one of those.
I'm guessing by the name of large plastic parts they actually create a vacuum and pull the flapper close. That's why you are having the trouble you are having.
It was designed to do just that.

Again I'm just guessing. what happens if you just pull that canister out.
Maybe a nice 2 or 3 gallon flush.

I too have experienced living with one of these, I didn't install it. Not a fan.

I've hacked in a fix on a number of older 1.6 toilets when the homeowner was reluctant to spring for a nice 1.28 just yet. I'll put on my flamesuit here, I get one of those flapper assemblies with the yellow Styrofoam float piece. Not sure that would work on this one.

I am still at least something of an eco-warrior so I try to adjust the so there is still a somewhat efficient cycle. But flushing twice is not exactly efficient so my hope has been that the crude float thingie approach is effective and still acceptably efficient.

Last edited:
One of the typical reasons why a flapper closes too quickly is because you are using a universal flapper, always try to get a manufacture flapper, “some toilet flappers need bigger or smaller orfices “

Latest posts

Back