Flange bolts problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flash man

Reaction score
Ran into a problem replacing my toilet. Previous owner installed an extender on the flange as the flange is about an inch below the floor. However, I cannot remove the bolts as it appears as though the extender was installed over the bolts so the keyhole is partially covered by the extender. Unfortunately, the current bolts are too short to use for the new toilet. Any ideas on how to remove the bolts? They're loose and I was able to pull of a washer from one of them using pliers but there does not seem to be enough space to pull out the bolts. I guess right now I prefer to not cut the extender but if I have to, what would be the best method to cut out the bolts? Seems like a worse problem is putting new bolts in if I cut the current bolts to make it easier to remove. Attached a photo.IMG_20210120_235936.jpg

You could thread on a stainless hex nut all the way down to the flange.
Then neatly cut off most of the existing bolt, leave 1/4 inch stub above the nut, nice and straight horizontal cut.
Then unscrew the hex nut, which will clean up the cut threads as it comes off.
Then thread on a short brass coupling nut, like you would use to join threaded rods.
Then screw in a short piece of brass or stainless threaded rod, which you can get by cutting the foot off a toilet flange bolt, or cut a short stub off a threaded rod.
You can jam two hex nuts together to be able to screw in the short stub of threaded rod, then remove them.
I think I would use permanent thread locker on all the connections you need to stay intact.
I think flange bolts are 1/4 or 5/16, here is a pic just to show what I mean by short brass coupling nut.
You could buy a few different hex nuts to identify the diameter and thread count of your existing trapped bolts. 960372AD-D982-4297-A7B3-F58953844148.png

How is the spacer fastened?? Can you get it off and then put a new spacer and bolts on. There usually siliconed
on so you might be able to get it off.

Back