Fittings That Glue INSIDE PVC Pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Handy

Pro Handyman, NOT A Pro Plumber
Reaction score
Howdy friends,

I stumbled onto something today that I did not know existed.

Pros probably know this, but there are some special pvc fittings that install by being glued INSIDE the end of pvc pipes.
Not glued onto the outside, as usual.

These would be ideal when there is no access to glue a normal fitting onto a pipe stub.
Like a pipe stub cut off flush to the fitting it was glued into.
This situation would normally require chiseling out the pipe from the fitting socket.
Or using a special “socket saver” bit to bore it out.

Or for trying to tie into a drain, but the stub has been cut flush to a tile or hard surface, with no clearance around it to be able to slip a fitting over it.

Many other tough situations could be solved with these adapters.

Yes, they reduce the pipe inside diameter and flow, but in a pinch they could be just what is needed.

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/resource-center/pipe-extenders-and-inside-connectors/

I see no reason why those wouldn't be legal for pressure lines.
Of course gravity lines would be a different story.

What's wrong with this example?
Hint: what size pipe would be going in the socket end?
pipe-extender-w-pipe-1.jpg

In that situation as pictured, you would not be attaching anything “inside” the socket.
It is not a socket.
It is an extension of the pipe.
You will be gluing a fitting or a coupling onto the outside.

Imagine that clear pipe was cut off flush at a solid wall, for some stupid reason.
And you had to attach to it.

Even a drain could be attached to it.
Yes, there would be a small uphill restriction.
But most drains will develop that on their own with time, and they continue to work well enough.

I have seen the tee where a trap arm enters it about half blocked at the bottom.
Still drains ok.

This would be only a small bump in the road.
About 1/8 inch rise.

Not ideal, but could be a savior in a tough scenario.

Pbly totally against code having the flow not constant downhill, but real life sometimes has to win.

I have seen barbed fittings used on flexible drain lines, and they create the same situation.

Meanwhile, I just posted this because I have never seen these fittings mentioned yet on here.

Not interested in starting any bickering war about codes.

Last edited:
Sorry I missed the simple fact that it was just extending the OD of the pipe.

Yes, I think it is quite interesting and could very well be useful to many. Except the true professionals, of course.

Agree, something you can't discuss relative to code, only its potential usefulness when the occasion arises.

Good post.

BTW, when I mentioned bickering war, I meant the folks just laying in the weeds, who are bound to jump on this for code reasons.

Latest posts

Back