First time sink drain build - tips and thoughts?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfree86

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster and DIY amateur here. Just built the kitchen sink drain under new farm sink and have no idea whether it's decent or has pitfalls. Attached a few photos.

Let me know what you think?

The shutoffs and drain pipe were placed much too far left in the sink cabinet due to a measuring error (by someone else) so that's why I had to use a 45 piece off the main pipe and extend over to the sink drain. It was also 2" coming out of the wall so I had to get to 1.5" eventually as well.

Any constructive thoughts much appreciated!

IMG_20180203_084710.jpg

IMG_20180203_084721.jpg

IMG_20180202_184830.jpg

codes are different from state to state I have seen them done
like this and also connected to the knock outi goths disposal
I think the key is bringing the dw drain up high thru the cabinet
so the water can't drain back to the dw

In Florida, this install is fine. We keep the discharge from the d/w high, like Geofd said.

If I did this, I would have used an entirely tubular p-trap. Makes service a breeze. Bush/bell reduce drain to 1.5", use a threaded trap adapter and you're good to go.

I agree with other posters because with that solid p-trap you will have to cut it all out if that drain plugs up. Put a 2 x 11/2" wye in where the blue tape is and a 11/2" fitting cleanout with plug and you will be good to go. Other than that you did a real nice clean looking job.

Hi all,

So I'm having some issues here with leakage that looks like it's coming from around the two nuts where the 1.5" Y piece grabs the basket and then again where it transitions to 2". See photos.

The nuts are tight but I'm still getting drips. Any thoughts?

I actually have to replace the drain basket anyway since the white paint on the one I was sent is chipping (going with stainless steel instead). So I'll have to take it apart a bit at the top anyway. Just hoping I don't need to do a full re-install.

Thanks!

IMG_20180325_073200.jpg

IMG_20180325_073400.jpg

Is there a washer on that connection at the strainer. You sure the leak is running down the pipe to the joint below.

Back