First time gas user

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neildaigle

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to me (but old) home. First time having gas. The hot water heater is in closet in our utility room. Is it normal to smell gas at all near it? I sprayed soap water on the hose to it to see if I seen any visible leaks and didn’t. Any help is appreciated. It is an old hot water heater And will change if needed.

Also, when you hear the burner light up, it’s pretty loud at first, then slowly quiets down (as flame goes down I’m assuming)

Have it checked by a professional for gas leaks and proper venting, relief valve operation.

Well it isn’t the same smell as the exhaust, it smells like the raw gas so I was assuming it wasn’t the vent itself. I can get a new heater for under $500 so I may just replace it since it’s old anyway. I was afraid to pay a good chunk of that just for someone to tell me I need another lol

Well it isn’t the same smell as the exhaust, it smells like the raw gas so I was assuming it wasn’t the vent itself. I can get a new heater for under $500 so I may just replace it since it’s old anyway. I was afraid to pay a good chunk of that just for someone to tell me I need another lol

Worst case scenario you have a gas leak and the house goes boom.🤓

Good luck !

I just wasn’t sure if it was normal to have a little whiff of it before the burner kicks on. That’s when it lets off slight smell of gas. Once it starts burning it goes away

Back