First time custom well install

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karmaxul

Reaction score
Hello all. Happy the forum is available

I am looking to run a three hundred twenty foot well to only fill up a water storage vessel that is about fifteen thousand gallons. I am hoping to run the pump with an above ground storable wire coming from my panel or plug it into a generator. The static level of the water is about ten feet below the surface and the production is about eight gallons per minute. From my understanding the three wire pumps last a bit longer which is seen in many things from lack of heat buildup running lower amps. I understand all wells have smart shut offs now and intelligent restart attempt timing. Im looking to connect to a camlock at the threaded caps which I hope I can get in a two inch port and hose, min. Any tips or tricks for a green horn are welcome.

My issue is I have been searching and I do not know where to look or when found, what works best. Any advice would be more then appreciated.

Also, for the winter, would I need to do anything or would, with the cam lock, the water should fall well below the frost line?

Three wire pumps with a control box are easier to start from a generator, but don't necessarily last any longer than two wire pumps. All pumps do not have "smart shut offs" and the ones that do are expensive and short lived. A regular dumb pump with a Dry Well protector like a Cycle Sensor is best. Submersible pumps need/have a check valve on the pump. This will prevent the water line from draining back. So, cam locks or unions don't help as the water cannot drain back. A bleeder orifice installed about 5' down the well will drain to that point when all the pressure in the system is relieved. You will need some kind of restricting device like a Dole valve on the pump. When installing a pump at 320' with a static water level of 10', the pump will upthrust and be destroyed if you don't restrict the flow to what the pump likes to do.
LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

Three wire pumps with a control box are easier to start from a generator, but don't necessarily last any longer than two wire pumps. All pumps do not have "smart shut offs" and the ones that do are expensive and short lived. A regular dumb pump with a Dry Well protector like a Cycle Sensor is best. Submersible pumps need/have a check valve on the pump. This will prevent the water line from draining back. So, cam locks or unions don't help as the water cannot drain back. A bleeder orifice installed about 5' down the well will drain to that point when all the pressure in the system is relieved. You will need some kind of restricting device like a Dole valve on the pump. When installing a pump at 320' with a static water level of 10', the pump will upthrust and be destroyed if you don't restrict the flow to what the pump likes to do.
View attachment 28801
That you so much for the reply

Latest posts

Back