Fireplace question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Otahyoni, Nov 3, 2010.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

  1. Nov 3, 2010 #1

    Otahyoni

    Otahyoni

    Otahyoni

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Messages:
    1,780
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Anyone know about fireplaces? I have one that i've never used. It doesn't have a damper.

    I lit a piece of paper and even with it at the back smoke drifted out into the room. Is this normal? I assume not....

    If it works properly i mihgt use it to offset the heating bill, but not if it's going to be a huge headache... What say you?
     
  2. Nov 3, 2010 #2

    havasu

    havasu

    havasu

    Administrator Staff Member Admin

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2010
    Messages:
    9,314
    Likes Received:
    1,309
    Location:
    Southern California,
    You better make sure the chimney stack is open and void of any bird nests, dead racoons, and old, unneeded moderators! :eek: If you can't draw the smoke up the chimney, don't use it until it is inspected by a professional, who usually wears black top hats in my area.
     
  3. Nov 3, 2010 #3

    Chris

    Chris

    Chris

    Administrator Admin

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Messages:
    8,850
    Likes Received:
    940
    Location:
    Sweet, Idaho
    Make sure the flue (SP) or whatever it is called is open. Sometimes when it is real cold you will need to hold the lit newspaper up into the chimney a bit to warm the air and start a vacumn.
     
  4. Nov 3, 2010 #4

    Otahyoni

    Otahyoni

    Otahyoni

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Messages:
    1,780
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    We weren't going to start a fire until it's been cleaned and inspected. I just wanted to make sure i wasn't wasting $125 doing that only to find a major problem.

    I can get wood for free and last winter our gas bill was outrageous....
     
  5. Nov 3, 2010 #5

    majakdragon

    majakdragon

    majakdragon

    Professional Professional

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2010
    Messages:
    297
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Lafe Arkansas, Arkansas
    Even if the chimney was clear, this doesn't mean the chimney is in proper condition to operate. The fee to make sure is well worth it. This is especially true since you have never used it. My Sister had one that they used for 5 years, and then one night they smelled some weird odors. The chimney had a crack and it was the paint on a closet wall getting extremly hot that caused the paint to smell.
     
  6. Nov 3, 2010 #6

    speedbump

    speedbump

    speedbump

    Wells & pumps; not a... Professional

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2010
    Messages:
    1,723
    Likes Received:
    212
    Location:
    Riverview, Florida
    You can always lay on your back and look up the chimney with a flashlight. If it looks clear all the way up, it should work, but I agree that an inspection by a pro is a good idea. House fires are pretty devastating.
     
  7. Nov 3, 2010 #7

    BRad704

    BRad704

    BRad704

    Moderation

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2010
    Messages:
    684
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Cordova, TN
    This... I can remember only 1 time that the flue got bumped closed and dad lit a fire... house full of smoke, and its hard to reach in and open it when you don't know exactly what you are reaching for, and there's a fire in the way
     
  8. Nov 3, 2010 #8

    speedbump

    speedbump

    speedbump

    Wells & pumps; not a... Professional

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2010
    Messages:
    1,723
    Likes Received:
    212
    Location:
    Riverview, Florida
    Then there was the time my wife threw one of those big candles into the fire. Once it started melting and burning, here came the flaming wax right out onto the mantle. It got real close to going on the tile floor (thankfully not carpet) then slowly burned up. Got a little tense there for a while!
     
  9. Nov 4, 2010 #9

    Otahyoni

    Otahyoni

    Otahyoni

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Messages:
    1,780
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Well..... big problem.... One of the previous owners put a 2" thick cement cap on the chimney....For the repairs that need done, it'll cost $350 which means i won't be saving money after the effort to get wood and the repairs....

    Now i really need to think about fixing it at all (only needed to have a fire).... :(
     
  10. Nov 4, 2010 #10

    Chris

    Chris

    Chris

    Administrator Admin

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Messages:
    8,850
    Likes Received:
    940
    Location:
    Sweet, Idaho
    Do it yourself and it will be free or cheap and you will learn something. Fireplaces are simple things and dont cost much to put together. If it cost 350 to have someone else do it I cant se it being much to do yourself.
     
  11. Nov 4, 2010 #11

    Otahyoni

    Otahyoni

    Otahyoni

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Messages:
    1,780
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I would, if it wasn't for the very steep pitch on the roof... That and i don't know anything about it...
     
  12. Nov 4, 2010 #12

    BRad704

    BRad704

    BRad704

    Moderation

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2010
    Messages:
    684
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Cordova, TN
    I'm with Chris on the DIY, but that's just me...

    Is it common to have cement caps put on chimneys? If someone wanted to cap it, that seems like the stupidest way they could have done it. Perhaps it is a pre-fab cap and can be removed without just breaking it...
     
  13. Nov 5, 2010 #13

    Otahyoni

    Otahyoni

    Otahyoni

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Messages:
    1,780
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I don't know much about them... The guy that inspected it said it would need to be broken up and removed. (He jokingly said it'd need a jackhammer...)

    As far as the DIY, see my above post.
     
  14. Nov 5, 2010 #14

    havasu

    havasu

    havasu

    Administrator Staff Member Admin

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2010
    Messages:
    9,314
    Likes Received:
    1,309
    Location:
    Southern California,
    I once repaired about 3' of a chimney that had been damaged by the Northridge Earthquake. I reused the original bricks and used a bag of mortar mix. It turned out to be a fun little project and to my knowledge, is still working OK for the residents....that is unless they died of carbon monoxide and have turned to dried up cadavers, and this is why I didn't receive a call back! [​IMG]
     
  15. Nov 6, 2010 #15

    phishfood

    phishfood

    phishfood

    Moderator Staff Member Professional Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2010
    Messages:
    5,775
    Likes Received:
    992
    Location:
    Orlando, FL
    I hate it when that happens. Cuts into the pool of repeat customers.
     
  16. Nov 8, 2010 #16

    Mr_David

    Mr_David

    Mr_David

    Easily Amused Professional

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2010
    Messages:
    4,171
    Likes Received:
    1,058
    Location:
    Santee,Ca,
    Maybe he capped it for a reason.
    Probably didn't like Christmas and was trying to keep Santa out.:rolleyes:
     
  17. Nov 9, 2010 #17

    Otahyoni

    Otahyoni

    Otahyoni

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Messages:
    1,780
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    [​IMG][​IMG]
     
  18. Dec 7, 2010 #18

    Chris

    Chris

    Chris

    Administrator Admin

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Messages:
    8,850
    Likes Received:
    940
    Location:
    Sweet, Idaho
    So did you ever fix it or are you still paying the man for warmth?
     
  19. Dec 8, 2010 #19

    Otahyoni

    Otahyoni

    Otahyoni

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2010
    Messages:
    1,780
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Just paying the gas company... :(
     

Share This Page