Filter Installation and General Questions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am planning to install an 6-stage RO filter under my sink. Seems relatively simple--will work off a shut-off valve from a cold line and have a waste line to the drain. Some complications, though, based on my under-sink set-up for which I have some questions. See picture attached with labels.

I have a separate cold water shut-off that services a two-stage filter that then goes to a hot water dispenser. I figure that I might as well have the 6-stage filter service a regular tap and the hot water dispenser and just get rid of the 2-stage. The company that makes the filter sells an ice maker kit that would allow me to split the line from the filter and I assume this would work fine for the hot water dispenser.

The issue I have is with the current set-up coming from the cold water to the filter/hot water. I am not sure what is the black line highlighted in green. It seems to go to the drain through a dedicated little pipe in the wall, but I'm not sure. So, I'm concerned about disassembling this set-up and putting the 6-stage in. Also, when it comes time to drain the new filter, I guess I can use this drain (if it is a drain) as opposed to cutting into the drain pipe?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Kitchen sink.png
    Kitchen sink.png
    699.6 KB · Views: 23
I there a sink or some other fixture on the other side of that wall?

Ahhh! You got it. It was silly of me to say that was a drain, because it was a T off of the outlet, but I thought it had some kind of valve in it. And I had that in my head given the drainage I need for the new filter. That's the outside wall of the house and there is a hose sillcock on the other side. So, it's supplied by that cold outlet and stop valve. Solved. Thank you.

So, I guess I just bring water to my new filter from that outlet (leaving the line to the hose sillcock in place) and then split to the tap and hot water dispenser from the filter as I thought. Only issue might be the gauge of the tubing to the hot water dispenser, which I'll have to look at more carefully (seemed fatter), but I assume they make fittings to go from the different gauges. And, just a gut check, but I am right to just eliminate the other filter, yes? Any thoughts are appreciated.

A little research suggests that the hot water dispenser--an insinkerator, is set-up to supply hot and cold water. Would seem silly to have two taps. So, I should probably go from the filter to the dispenser to a tap with two levers. Again, any thoughts would be welcome.

I am shocked you have a flex line feeding a hose bib.

You already have a two stage filter for instant hot water.
Is your water supply that terrible that you need more filtration than that?

Just buy a standalone dispenser for five gallon bottled water jugs, for cold water.

The reverse osmosis system seems like overkill, and that under sink area already looks too crowded and complicated.

Have you had your water tested, to see if there is some safety issue?

As it turns out, it was not the hose bib! I made that assumption based on placement, but when I closed the shut-off, water still flowed through the hose bib. Please see attached pic. There is a small access panel below the hose bib. All of this is on the outside wall of the wall under the kitchen sink. I am thinking that access panel maybe allows for the addition of an outdoor sink through the flex line? Bib would then be in an awkward spot. Thoughts? I guess I can open the panel! Been quite busy. I just wan to get rid of that flex line if I can...

Attachments

• 20200316_144141.jpg
    20200316_144141.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back