Filter and Nitrates

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brantly04

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum and would appreciate any advice.

I recently bought a home in an area known for nitrates in the ground water. We had the water tested before we closed escrow and it was at 19 ppm.

From the domestic well, the house has a sediment filter, a water softener and in the kitchen has a reverse osmosis system. When I moved in I tested the water from the kitchen sink (20 PPM nitrate reading), the reverse osmosis (15 ppm nitrate reading) and the refrigerator water (20 PPM).

I replaced all the filters/membrane/battery in the reverse osmosis system and received a barely positive sample after for nitrates. I also replaced the refrigerator filter and had a barely positive sample for nitrates.

We have lived here for a month and I tested the water from the reverse osmosis today. It came back at about 15ppm. It looks like an older Kenmore (Possibly sears?) brand. The fridge water also went up but not as much.

My question is: Should I replace the reverse osmosis system? My wife is about to have our first child and we like to use the water from the osmosis system for cooking, drinking, etc. Should we just go 100% bottled water? If we replace the osmosis system what new system do you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Back