Fill Valve Leaking Sometimes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabbysmith512

Reaction score
When I turn off my water supply and turn it back on, the first flush is successful. Any subsequent flushes do not work. Water leaks out of the top of the fill valve slowly, for about 20 minutes, to eventually fill up the toilet instead of shooting into the overflow pipe. This issue lasts indefinitely until I shut off the water supply and turn it back on. Whenever I do that, the first flush has water shooting into the overflow pipe, as it should, and no leak in the fill valve. Does it sound like the fill valve needs to be replaced? It doesn't seem broken because it works for that first flush, but I do not know what else to try to get the water to fill normally on the subsequent flushes.

Probably just change the fill valve.

But first, post some good clear pics of the fill valve and the other toilet guts, and also the markings printed or molded into the back of the toilet.

And the brand name is usually printed by the toilet seat hinge.

Thank you! Here is a picture of the fill valve not leaking water out of the top and a picture of the markings on the back of the tank. The brand is American Standard.

Attachments

• 664E22D2-4312-4B9D-895F-523673F5FED5.jpeg
    664E22D2-4312-4B9D-895F-523673F5FED5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 8581438D-8623-4D96-8073-B19B304370A4.jpeg
    8581438D-8623-4D96-8073-B19B304370A4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • A0D2DAE2-32DC-4E5F-8715-12EF63A21FF1.jpeg
    A0D2DAE2-32DC-4E5F-8715-12EF63A21FF1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
The water level looks very low in the tank.
Also the brown staining indicates that the water level has usually been several inches higher than it is in that pic.
There should be a mark from the factory showing correct water level.

So either try to adjust the water level by raising the float, which you do by twisting the little knob on top of the shaft it hangs from.

Or just replace the fill valve, because if water is leaking out the top, it is defective anyway.
You can buy a kit to rebuild it, but sometimes they don’t work, and a new fill valve is about $8.00 and is easy to change out.

Lots of youtube vids on how to change it.
Just close the shutoff, flush and drain the tank, get a little pan or bowl to catch some water, unscrew the supply hose from the bottom of the fill valve, unscrew the plastic nut holding the fill valve, twist new fill valve shaft until it is the same height in the tank as old valve, reattach everything.

Also, your old Korky flapper looks like it might have seen better days.

The water level looks very low in the tank.
Also the brown staining indicates that the water level has usually been several inches higher than it is in that pic.
There should be a mark from the factory showing correct water level.

So either try to adjust the water level by raising the float, which you do by twisting the little knob on top of the shaft it hangs from.

Or just replace the fill valve, because if water is leaking out the top, it is defective anyway.
You can buy a kit to rebuild it, but sometimes they don’t work, and a new fill valve is about $8.00 and is easy to change out.

Lots of youtube vids on how to change it.
Just close the shutoff, flush and drain the tank, get a little pan or bowl to catch some water, unscrew the supply hose from the bottom of the fill valve, unscrew the plastic nut holding the fill valve, twist new fill valve shaft until it is the same height in the tank as old valve, reattach everything.

Also, your old Korky flapper looks like it might have seen better days.
Awesome, thank you so much! I really appreciate it! Stay healthy out there!

Back