Ferncos

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevemachine

Professional
Reaction score
So I got a question about ferncos, when you guys do a sewer replacement, be it trench less or conventional dig, I saw previous posts saying that your aren't allowed to use a fernco for underground use in most states. So my question being when you have to re connect to the old line, whether it's clay pipe, or no corrode or whatever, how can you guys make a solid connection to a dissimilar material with your new material without a fernco. Because when I have done them that's all we use and we have never had any issues at all. I just can't imagine it because the pipe is solid and has no play lol. Just curious how you guys do it?

Clay comes a couple different ways, one is with a fernco every joint. Then there is BxS and epoxy.

Depending on the city, county or water district some require the use of them and some do not allow. The downfall to using them underground is that if things move or settle they will not be aligned perfect anymore but that is in extreme cases. I have dug up many lines that have been buried for 20 or more years and have not moved a bit.

I installed about 1000' of line two years ago with a fernco every 8' it was videod and was perfect.

I try and avoid them when possible and use a solid type fitting or coupling but some times we are not allowed.

BTW this is in So Cal.

Ok gotcha so the BxS coupling has epoxy on it? That's cool never used one before. But yeah I agree with that I mean there is a higher probability of a misalignment happening with ferncos. And ok I know what ya mean John, oddly enough there is no such code that I know of in Canada that prevents you from using ferncos in any place. For cast to plastic, under or above ground a fernco is the proper adapter, according to our schooling. But yes for sure if you use copper your best bet is a banded coupling. What exactly is the reasoning for restrictions on the ferncos? Just curious.

They definitely are more sturdy if they're banded, however ferncos are much easier to use I find, they slide so it's super easy to join pipe. Well basically a banded coupling would be an mj correct? Unless their is a difference, I've only used the CI to Cu ones. I know they prohibit us from using mj on plastic whatsoever. It's either fernco or banded for copper to plastic. Funny how that works lol.

MJ = Mechanical Joint, we use them all the time for fire line installation. They are ductile iron fittings with several bolts and compress a rubber to seal the pipe. Used mainly on water applications.

Ferncos are mainly used on Sewer/ storm drain applications.

Haha oh ok gotcha. To us we call an mj a mechanical joint as well but it's what you would call a banded coupling. To us mj is what you use to join cast iron together. But I get what your saying, I've already learnt all kinds of stuff on this site haha.

Back