Fed Mandated Gov PUI regulator

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what really SUCKS is GE is a horrible brand and you prob will need that plumber to come back under warranty... just saying

Did you ever get this issue answered? Curious since I've never hear of a PUI. Been plumbing for over 25 years. I can see in the pics there is an additional fitting connected to the pvc that isn't normally there. IF these are check valves, the UPC (uniform plumbing code) requires there to be an expansion tank installed in the system also. Cannot install a check valve in the system without the expansion tank.

Normally the application of check valves is to prevent the hot water from traveling back up the cold supply and ending up with hot water to toilets and the other fixtures' cold supply. This can happen when the water heater stat is set too high. As the temp of the hot water rises in the storage tank it can sometimes create a PSI higher than the city or well water supply. This is feedback of the hot water supply into the cold supply.

Check valves are also installed when there is a recirculation pump in the system in larger homes to help with having hot water on demand at fixtures. If you have a recirc pump then the check valves are needed. I hope you were able to get some answers. I, as most of the rest believe you've been taken

M

Latest posts

Back