Faucet water filter doesn't fit

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumbingn00b

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've recently purchased a Culligan FM-25 faucet-mounted water filter.

Unfortunately, it seems like the threading on my faucet is too small to fit the filter. I've tried going to my local plumbing shop, but unfortunately people there weren't helpful at all, so I'm turning to the internet.

Unable to find much information out there, I more or less blindly purchased this adapter in rather naive hopes of it fitting. There can't be that many different sizes out there, right? Or so I thought at least, because it turns out the threading on this adapter is too small to fit my faucet.

At my wits end, I decided to turn to this friendly community for help. Here's a few pictures of my current aerator with coins for size comparison. Any chance that is good enough for you guys to determine which adapter I need? I'd love if I were able to buy it online, as my local plumbing store didn't leave that great an impression and I doubt they'd have what I need anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea why it won't fit. I am not a Plumber, but have never ran across any faucet attachment that didn't fit. They are all basically the same. Some male, some female. Maybe because it's Culligan it's proprietary and their adapter is big bucks! Sears was famous for doing that sort of thing.

If you don't have chlorine in your water, that filter won't do much anyway. It's no doubt a carbon filter and they are used mostly for removing chlorine.

I think it's my faucet/aerator that is a weird size (?). My water does have chlorine in it which I'm trying to get rid of.

Did you take the aerator off? You will have to before the filter will go on.

I don't know what kind of water you have, but here our county water has Chlorimines. Chlorimines contain Chlorine, Ammonia and Fluoride all mixed together. Carbon only removes the Chlorine.

Adapter(s) should be included according to their literature-

– Advanced Filtration for the reduction of bad taste & odor, aesthetic chlorine taste & odor, sediment, lead, cysts such as giardia and cryptosporidium, turbidity, atrazine, lindane, and particulate class I. The filter cartridge has a life of up to 200 gallons or 2 months.

Adapters included fit most aerator faucets.

Please see install guide for detailed explanation.

Did you take the areator off ? You will have to before the filter will go on.

I don't know what kind of water you have, but here our county water has Chlorimines. Chlorimines contain Chlorine, Ammonia and Fluoride all mixed together. Carbon only removes the Chlorine.

what he said ^^^

The filter cartridge has a life of up to 200 gallons or 2 months.
That was always one of my big complaints. How do you differentiate between 200 gallons and two months?
All the other stuff mentioned shouldn't be in City Water or you would make Flint Michigan look like a minor incident!

Yeah, I did take the aerator off, but the threading on the faucet itself is too small to fit the filter. There were adapters included, but they were only from inside threading to outside threading, not between different sizes.

Check the aerator to be sure it doesn't have the piece your needing. It may just look like a one part aerator, but it may actually have the piece you need attached to it.

Unfortunately, it seems like the threading on my faucet is too small to fit the filter. I've tried going to my local plumbing shop, but unfortunately people there weren't helpful at all, so I'm turning to the internet.

Unable to find much information out there, I more or less blindly purchased this adapter in rather naive hopes of it fitting. There can't be that many different sizes out there, right? Or so I thought at least, because it turns out the threading on this adapter is too small to fit my faucet.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Spo...hUKEwiy74CBh6zLAhWpkoMKHV5PAxoQsAQIRg#imgrc=_

Do you know the manufacturer of the faucet? If known, the spec sheet (available online) will give you the info you need.

If not, you are going to have to determine the aerator provision size/thread pitch to determine the correct needed adapter, or

Remove the faucet and take it and the filter asm. to a reputable/knowledgeable supply house with a knowledgeable/caring counter person and let him/her/it determine adapter size (may have to be ordered).

Anything else is just beating your head against a wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,

At my wits end, I decided to turn to this friendly community for help. Here's a few pictures of my current aerator with coins for size comparison. Any chance that is good enough for you guys to determine which adapter I need? I'd love if I were able to buy it online, as my local plumbing store didn't leave that great an impression and I doubt they'd have what I need anyways.

Was this ever resolved? I'm having same difficulty.

You need an adapter. Circled in red. One of the two will adapt it to your faucet. If you don’t have them, call and order it. DA7F70BC-C65B-4E6B-A56A-0C5C0DA2538D.jpeg

You need an adapter. Circled in red. One of the two will adapt it to your faucet. If you don’t have them, call and order it. View attachment 32781
I figured that I needed an adapter. The two that came in the box are to adapt for inside threads. I was hoping to get them at the local H/W store but no luck. I should contact Culligan Customer Service?

I figured that I needed an adapter. The two that came in the box are to adapt for inside threads. I was hoping to get them at the local H/W store but no luck. I should contact Culligan Customer Service?

See below......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back