Faucet Question - Drain Waste Seat

Discussion in 'Toilets and Sinks' started by Cali_Dee, Aug 21, 2019.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

1. Aug 21, 2019 #1

Cali_Dee

Cali_Dee

Cali_Dee

Hope my question makes sense. I just installed a new faucet in one of my bathrooms. Tested and good to go with no leaks. However, I wanted to try to adjust the Waste Seat so water doesn't build up as much (not sure if that's even possible) and as soon as I loosened the Drain Nut a little water leaked out. Is this normal? I attached a picture to show what I'm referring to. I used a generous amount of plumber's putty under the Waste Seat, so not sure how water got in there. Should I be concerned? drain.jpg

2. Aug 21, 2019 #2

jeffmattero76

jeffmattero76

jeffmattero76

What you are calling the drain seat must be installed tightly to the sink to avoid leaks.

Loosening the nut below the sink will not change the amount or speed of the water going down the drain. The size of the pipe (usually 1 1/4") determines that, as does the pop-up assembly. In other words, if there is no pop-up assembly, the pipe is draining at maximum speed and volume. Add a pop-up, and that will slow the rate.

3. Aug 21, 2019 #3

Cali_Dee

Cali_Dee

Cali_Dee

Sorry Jeff, yes it was installed really tight. I loosened it to try to change the angle of the waste seat to avoid water from sitting on top after running the water. but anywho, for whatever reason the drain seat was loosened a little water came out, so I was a little concerned if I used enough plumber's putty or not.

4. Aug 21, 2019 #4

SHEPLMBR

SHEPLMBR

SHEPLMBR

not a Junior Member anymore! Sponsor

It's fine the way it was. Sometimes the molding of the sink basins are not perfect.

5. Aug 31, 2019 #5

TomFOhio

TomFOhio

TomFOhio

Professional Professional

You will get water when you loosen that nut underneath. Set it where you want it and re-tighten it and check for any leaks.

6. Aug 31, 2019 #6

Diehard

Diehard

Diehard

When you say, you "wanted to try to adjust the Waste Seat so water doesn't build up as much", what exactly are you talking about?
    Is the drain stopper slowing the draining water down enough to back it up? If so, you don't adjust the seat but rather the stopper.