Faucet handle action has lost that loving feeling

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveLab

Reaction score
Kohler Bancroft faucet action started getting stiff on one side. Valve cartridge is fine. The feel is determined by a single, thin O-ring on the handle's shaft that creates a small amount of friction against the outer wall.

I tried plumber's grease, which works at first, but soon wears off, and the stiff action returns. I contacted Kohler (lifetime warranty), who sent me out a new handle, cartridge, and O-ring. Nothing helped. Even with the new stuff, the stiffness remained! Without the O-ring, there is NO friction, and the handle flies around freely.

I tried cleaning and polishing the outer wall to minimize the friction against the O-ring. Didn't help. I tried swapping parts with the other side, and now both sides are stiff!

This is a real mystery. Any insights would be very much appreciated.

1636550496861.png

Replace the ceramic cartridges and the handles.

Kohler should provide all of that free of charge.

Use silicone grease on all the new parts before you install. Do not use petroleum based lubricants as they can make orings swell.

If Kohler hesitates, request a new faucet.

I had this problem with a very nice Moen bathroom faucet recently. I installed it new about 3 years ago and then after the 2nd year the handles were very stiff. I had to take it apart and put a lot of silicone inside the handles. They work fine now but noticed a "break down" of the metal finish on the inside like it was corroding already. So I don't expect the faucet to last that long. I will try to upgrade that faucet to more premium brand or trim as that bathroom is near my pool and gets Florida humidity more than my other bathroom.

Back