Faucet flow restrictor removal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin_bkt

Reaction score
I just had a new faucet installed in my kitchen for the first time in 15 years. After it was in, I realized they're now putting flow restrictors in kitchen faucets, too. The pull out spray is basically useless due to the low flow.

It's a Hansgrohe Talis C and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to remove the restrictor. I've been fiddling with it and searching the net and haven't figured it out yet. The one part that seems to improve the flow when I remove it also disables switching from spray to regular flow.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin

I just looked at your installation instructions.

It shows you how to take the head apart and clean it. Take it apart and make sure it’s clean, then check for pieces that can be removed to increase your flow.

See if the flow is substantially more with the spray head removed. Measure it with a bucket and a stop watch. If it’s substantially more then a restrictor in the head may be the problem.

I just looked at your installation instructions.

It shows you how to take the head apart and clean it. Take it apart and make sure it’s clean, then check for pieces that can be removed to increase your flow.

See if the flow is substantially more with the spray head removed. Measure it with a bucket and a stop watch. If it’s substantially more then a restrictor in the head may be the problem.

Thanks for your reply.

The flow is much more without the head on. I have disassembled the head. It's brand new, so it's clean. There is a small blue piece with tiny holes mounted on the back of the aerator assembly and the flow does improve if I remove this. BUT without this piece, the head is always in spray mode and it won't go back to normal faucet flow.

I'm not sure if I removed the wrong piece, but I don't see what else I can take out that would help.

Call the manufacturer, sometimes they offer parts that offer less restriction.

Some flow restrictors are built in now a days. In the old days we used to always pull them out and i think they got wise to it.
Probably so but I have no idea why the manufacturers would stoop that low. They can fulfill their commitment to "water savings" by simply installing a removeable one. Due your due diligence, investigate the options in a vendor's design and purchase based upon your desires.

Probably so but I have no idea why the manufacturers would stoop that low. They can fulfill their commitment to "water savings" by simply installing a removeable one. Due your due diligence, investigate the options in a vendor's design and purchase based upon your desires.
They are just trying to save the planet. LOL.

The companies are obviously now being ran by a generation that thinks man can actually control the environment of this planet. God help us please.

Back