faucet escutcheon is loose and poor access to locknut

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterstuff

Reaction score
I have an older (90s) sink faucet (widespread) and the cold water escutcheon is loose. Maybe by half a mm. But enough so that water sometimes drips through it and under the sink. I checked and the corresponding locknut is in a very difficult position with poor access. I tried needle-nose pliers but to no avail. I tried with my hand but it is rusty. I don't think a basin wrench will fit, that cement is around 1/2" away... What other tool to use to tighten this locknut?
IMG_0416.JPG

Take the handle off and remove the bell escutcheon.
Under there most of the time there’s a nut that you can tighten from the top. Sometimes it’s not there or it’s just a washer......

You’ll need to hold the bottom to keep it from spinning. If you have a helper that’s great.

I do this when working alone by attaching visegrip pliers clamped on the valve body underneath and against the wall of the vanity

If you overtighten you can crack your finish or the whole lav. Don’t go nuts.

Yeah, I doubt it will fit in there... I think I will get some long nose vise grips. In the mean time, I had sprayed some WD40 on the bronze locknut yesterday, and it seems it might be slowly getting a bit loose.

I removed the 2 Allen screws, removed the handle, and tried to pull the escutcheon out. It doesn't budge. I think the escutcheon is part of the handle/valve assembly. It doesn't come off.
So I am searching the web now and found this tool: basin buddy. It may work or it might not. Anyone used it?
Superior Tool 03825 Basin Buddy Faucet Nut Wrench-Wrench to grab metal, pvc, plastic, and coupling nuts - Adjustable Wrenches - Amazon.com
The escutcheon should unscrew counterclockwise. That’s the only way to get to the cartridge, it’s suppose to come off. You’ll need to keep the valve body from turning underneath while you try.

Use rubber gloves or a jar opener to get a good grip on the escutcheon and not scratch it.
A small strap wrench may be of use here....
Vicegrips clamped on the valve body underneath braced against the cabinet to prevent the valve from spinning below.

Back