Farm sink faucet...nipple install...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GibsonGM

Reaction score
Hi! This is a great place to get some real advice, hope to get some help for the weekend. Last time I posted the answers made my job easy and I didn't ruin anything ;)

I went to change out my farm sink faucet and broke one of the nipples off at the elbow behind the porcelain. It wasn't my fault - please tell my wife. Couldn't extract it so cut the pipe beneath, got new elbow etc.
I'm ok with sweating pipe, those aspects are fine. Of course, the farm sink has porcelain all up its back, and 2 nipples pass thru it, original old-time.

Problem: they must've roughed this, then dropped the sink in - the elbow projects JUST enough to not be able to slide it down the back & remove. No space behind sink. So new one will have same issue.
Anyone ever encounter this? All I can think is to remove the whole d@mn sink to get at the fitting...beh. Probably weighs over 100 lbs. But if I have to I will.

2nd part...when installing a full-thread nipple into the elbow, what's the best way? AFTER the new elbow & sink are back, hand-tight, and then use the new 'faucet connector', which has a nut, to spin both tight?

Thanks for any advice!!

Sounds like you have to tighten flexible faucet connections on the faucet then get the prices coming out of the wall tight and were you need them then drop the sink in connecting the bottom part last, I think that's what your looking for????

Thanks Geofd...it's not like that. This one is hard plumbed...it's a big, old, vintage farm sink with 2 supply nipples that come in from the wall.
In fact, this pic (found on net) is exactly what mine is, minus any way to get in behind it. Old faucet was done, so got the exact same one. Nipple sheared off when taking off one of the chrome 'extensions'. So now I have to get in behind and replace the elbow the nipple was in (no extractor, already cut pipe).

I need to know the right 'procedure' for installing the new brass nipple in a brass elbow since no way to grab it in the middle to sock it down...

Sink photo

A faucet like that usually has a sweat by ips(female thread)90° with a brass nipple sticking out to accept the chrome faucet parts, you can use what's called easy out, should back out the nipple

Here's the suck - I already used a dremel to cut down the nipple trying to make clearance to back the elbow behind the sink wall to remove the supply line that I cut off below...I scored the elbow pretty good on its face. I'll post a pic soon's I can - I'm not sure if I boned it up enough so that it has to be replaced....ugh. I'm not a total moron, I know enough to get myself into spots like this tho.

Thinking it might be worth calling around to find an extractor rather than tear the whole sink out. It probably weighs 150 lbs...I live 2 hrs from anywhere that has specialty tools like that (very rural Maine).

Seems there's no way out, have to get a nipple extractor and a nipple wrench, and try to work with what's there. Just p*ssed about the no water in the kitchen for a couple of days LOL. It happens, living so rural. You can't get a plumber here if you pay $1,000/hr.
Anyone know if an extractor works on just a small stub like this? Probably 1/2" is inside the elbow. I 'polished' the face of the elbow (lower left) but doubt that is involved in the seal...

nipple.jpg

Going to get an extractor, think that's solved...for re-install, gotta figure out how to tighten a new nipple (jamb nuts??) The faucet extension that connects to the nipple has a socket hole - now I'm wondering if it's supposed to be used to install the new nipple "on its own" (so both ends would go tight if you crank it). Any thoughts? Thanks!

https://i.postimg.cc/FRj73QKh/faucet-ext.jpg

Put a screw through those drop ear ell holes into the wood.

Then use a hacksaw blade with one end wrapped in duct tape for a handle and carefully saw a slit into the brass nipple.

Be careful not to cut into the thread of the drop ell.

Cut almost all the way through then collapse the nipple and unscrew it.

Last edited:
You mentioned that you used a Dremel tool to cut off the nipple, so you may be tempted to use it to do what Twowaxhack is suggesting. Don't. You stand a MUCH greater chance in damaging the female threads of the drop ear ell.

Depending on how tight the nipple is, I've also had to do as Twowaxhack suggests, but had to make a second cut about a quarter inch from the first cut in order to collapse the nipple and get it to unscrew.

GOT IT!!! Thanks for being there, guys, LOL. I managed to bench press the sink and move it out about 2", enough to get the old supply lines out. Since I went this far, I went and got new elbow and pex adapters, sweated 'em, and now everything's run back to the PEX I did the rest of the house in. Once we figured out how the 'extensions' go on (socket extension in the square hole), and planned the 'lining it up', the rest was fine (the extensions cam a little to give you L/R play). Hand-tightened the nipples and used the extensions to sock it all down, that was fine too. NO LEAKS.

Easy out just spun, beat the hell out of the old elbow..sometimes it works, sometimes not! Just glad I managed to get it back together and didn't scratch the new chrome (strap wrench to attach faucet to those extensions, all that was needed)

new-faucet.jpg

Latest posts

Back