External Water Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSP

Reaction score
Hi,
Apologies as I don't know exactly where to post this so hopefully this is an appropriate place.

My neighbour has a leak under his driveway which started as a small puddle, but has developed into something bigger and now flooding part of our new bloc paved driveway which was only laid in June.

Essex & Suffolk water have been round and said the leak is inside my neighbours boundary and issued him with a 30 day notice to fix.
Less than two years ago he had another leak not far from where the water is now, but they fixed that one. They did say at the time the next time he reports one it will cost him as this was a "free" one.

I am brought into this as it is a shared water supply pipe, but the neighbour is unaware of this as he has asked me, and I was until yesterday where I am sure I am. Reading material it appears I find myself liable to pay half the repair costs which I imagine will be over a thousand pounds.

My neighbour found a company who will do the work over the Bank Holiday weekend, so just over a week away. Was it up to him to find out if it is a shared supply or not as we have not been consulted with any of the costs or the work.

I am trying to research and find out information on this subject as I am sure many do when faced with something they don't know about or the unknown.

Questions I have but haven't contacted anyone about yet.
- If I am on a shared supply, can I use my "free" repair card although its under my neighbours driveway.
- Neighbour had a similar problem close by less than two years ago. What about a guarantee from the free repair.
- Could contact my insurance. Its a bit vague if I am covered or not.
- Read an article where someone claimed on accidental damage. They said supply pipes do not wear out, they only leak when ground is disturbed by movement, tree roots, traffic vibration. Conincidentally there is damage in the road right next to the leak. When certain traffic goes over this it causes furniture and noises inside our houses such is the seismic activity sent out.
- Just keep out of it until someone comes knocking.

I am hoping there is something here I have written which someone can say I should investigate or pursue which might help us or neighbour financially as we find ourselves in this situation.
Thanks.

Sorry, from the street to the water meter you are liable. You guys got lucky on the free one as most won't do that for you.
No Free Warranty, especially two years. Not to many insurance companies will cover a main water line unless you sign up
for it separately. You might look into having separate lines ran to each of your houses. Then if anything happens there will
be no question on who has to pay.

I believe this person is located in the United Kingdom.
Things may work differently there. Or were you aware of that?

Yes I am based in the UK. Sorry is this website just for people based in the USA.
Thanks.

Glad to see your post. You don't have to be from the USA to post on here. I just wanted to let you know what it is like around here
to give you some idea. Welcome to Plumbing Forums.

I guess from the rolling eyes it wasn't.
Sorry, what I missed was your intention of your comments, which were clarified by, "I just wanted to let you know what it is like around here to give you some idea."
Not entirely sure of the reason for the :rolleyes:. :):)

Latest posts

Back