External Pipe Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melendezisaiah16

Reaction score
Hello, experts!
I was mowing my lawn today and noticed ponding by the foundation in my home near a fence. I finished mowing and brought out old misery (shovel) and started digging. Instantly, the hole I was digging was engulfed in water. I run over and turn off my main water supply and dig some more, expose the pipe and clean it up. It wasn’t immediately clear where the leak was until I turned the water on and ran back to capture a video (attached).
The structure of the pipe seems to be PVC coming from the main , some sort of coupling connector, iron pipe going in to the house. As you will see in the video, the it seems like the water gushed out from the top part of the connector/coupling.
What are your thoughts? What piece, tools, will I need to buy?

video link (couldn’t attach): New video by Isaiah Melendez

Attachments

• B3430FC2-E2F5-4D1D-83B8-14F50BFDA720.jpeg
    B3430FC2-E2F5-4D1D-83B8-14F50BFDA720.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 16
  • 2B720810-3D6F-4B9E-943B-7D7ACCF59381.jpeg
    2B720810-3D6F-4B9E-943B-7D7ACCF59381.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 14
Video is too short, but it looks like the pipe is pvc, with a Sharkbite coupling that transitions to copper.
And the Sharkbite fitting is pissing water.

Hard to tell though, keep digging and make a longer video.

Maybe the Sharkbite fitting was not fully inserted when installed.

Or it was partially pulled out by the pvc pipe settling.

Or it was pulled on from inside the house foundation.

Get a better pic of this transition that I took from your video. Looks to me like your main is pex and some clown made a transition with pvc and shark bite to go from pex to copper. Also looks like the main is 1” while the copper is 3/4. Clean the dirt at the bushing where the pex is connected to the pvc. We should see a crimp ring or an expansion sleeve and I don’t see either
Don’t know about TX but where we are shark bites can not be used underground. Even though the manufacturer says it’s ok as long as they are wrapped. We do everything we can to not use shark bites.
If it is a pex main I would tunnel around the copper so you can clean it well and make sure you have a good cut. You would need a McDonald coupling with a stiffer or the proper adaptor for your pex type to transition from pex to copper. and I would braze( not solder) a reducer coupling to the copper with a Short piece of 1” copper to make up what I cut out.

Attachments

• 3B4A8213-567A-4BD5-A315-F4185CE6F54A.jpeg
    3B4A8213-567A-4BD5-A315-F4185CE6F54A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Back