Exterior access panel

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gthomson

Reaction score
Are exterior access panels behind a shower valve not very common?
I'm not seeing many examples of them in a bit of searching.
Something like this - http://czkatalog.info/plumbing-access-panel/

Both of my showers back up to the same exterior wall, and it's basically my utility wall on the outside - all the utilities, A/C units, etc... are on that side, having tankless water heater installed soon on that wall,
and there's really no reason for me to keep that wall looking pretty - neighbor's windows are also below top of fence line.

Valves are both Mixet valves that are just over 30 years old. One is frozen, the other close to it. Tried changing the cartridge on the one that is frozen, but I can't get all the pieces to come out to put in the replacement.
No chance of replacing the frozen valve without using those big replacement escucheons that I don't really like for such a small space, or going in through the stucco from the outside.
So it makes sense to me to put in probably a 14" x 14" access panel while doing it for each valve.
In a way this is my exterior convenience wall - put everything there I want out of sight, but convenient to deal with.

Are building codes for the access panel requirements handled within plumbing building codes typically?

I'm in California, so I'm sure there are codes for it - building codes for just about everything here I think.
Are exterior access panels generally thought of in a good way by home inspectors at re-sale, city inspectors that do permitting, etc...?

I would think they are seen as favorable by all since they help make it easier to find and fix problems.
Or might they typically see them as signs of previous problems?

I'm sure it needs to be a water tight access panel. But does it also need to be air tight for some reason?
It actually looks like those that are water tight are also air tight, so maybe that's a non-issue?

Any reasons why adding exterior access panels would be a bad first option to consider?
So far the only one I can think of is if the placement of the valve might change on a future bathroom reno. But I figure if it's that big of a change, then matching the stucco and re-locating the access panel is probably a small piece of it.

If you have put in exterior access panels in stucco, have you found it useful to use 1/2/3/4" hole saw on the corners to get a good radius to help reduce corner/stress cracks?

Greg

i live and work in boston.....access panels are a necessity we use them everywhere access for gas valves water valves drain clean outs heating valves we use them behind shower valves carpenters usually install them you would just mark the area were you wanted it......we don't use them on exterior walls because of the climate....plumbing code does say that these things have to be accessable if you used an access panel on the exterior it would have to be stainless steel and totally weather tight with a keyed lock I'm just not sure how long it would stay weather tight

Here is the California Plumbing Code. http://www.iapmo.org/Pages/2016CaliforniaPlumbingCode.aspx

Keep in mind your local jurisdiction may have their own additional codes, but I believe they still must maintain the minimum standards of the State code anyway.

In chapter 2 definitions it has the definition for accessible when referred to fixtures and such, and it means having access to after opening a panel or similar obstruction. It also has the definition of readily accessible which means that it is accessible without having to use a door or panel.

In 606.6 it says that required shutoff or control valves must be accessible

However I can't find anything about Showers requiring a shutoff valve at all. i looked at chapter 4 section 408 dealing specifically with showers but I can't find anything.

The plumbing codes don't mention access panels needing to be water or air tight at all.

Ask your local building department if shutoff valves for only the shower are required by code to see if it means anything to the inspector.

Latest posts

Back