exposed gas pipe in closet/strapping gas pipe in attic

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbandit98

Reaction score
hello, new member here. I plan on running a gas line to my garage for a heater, and possibly a water heater. Before I even start with the questions, I plan on getting a permit to do all work. I am just in the planning stages and trying to lay everything out. I am not a professional, but am an Industrial maint tech. I do plumbing, wiring, fabricating etc daily. That being said I am not familiar with building codes and "general practices" for residential stuff. I have a "T" installed in a closet where a water heater once resided. I am wanting to run a 1" line up from the T into the attic and to the garage. The service pipe is ran in the crawl space and runs up into the closet. My question revolves around what needs to be done in order to run the pipe up through the closet. I'm assuming its not ok for it to be exposed? It will be black iron pipe as I can thread and cut the lengths I need at work. The run will only be about 40ft. Also, I am considering moving my water heater out there as well. My question is what is the normal way to run gas pipe in the attic? I have saw a few runs and they were just laying across the joists and strapped down with one hole straps. Is this normal or does it need to be suspended? The pipe will be run perpendicular to the ceiling joists if that matters. Also, if I do decide to do the water pipe, what do I need to do if the water supply lines need to go up through that same closet into the attic and to the garage? I realize I will have to insulate them in the unconditioned space, but was more concerned with the exposed lines. Do I need to cut the drywall, install the lines, then re-drywall?
thanks
matt

Back