Experienced a leak below a freestanding upstairs bathtub- HELP!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Price

Reaction score
We moved into a newly built home in 2022, with an enclosed ~6x8 white tile shower and stand alone tub on the 3rd floor directly above the kitchen/ dining room. We used the shower frequently and and filled the bathtub on a handful of occasions without any water leaks. Approximately 2 months later I cleaned the shower using the handheld shower head on both the tub faucet and shower faucet, spraying walls and behind the bathtub. The space behind the tub to wall is ~4" and I noticed water pooling, not making it to the shower drain in front of the tub. (During a typical shower or when filling the bathtub very little water would have had reason to get into this space.)

After cleaning the shower, I walked downstairs to find a small amount of water dripping out of a can light in the kitchen and a small pool of water on the kitchen floor. I immediately called the home builder and they had their plumber to the house the same day. He opened the ceiling around the can light to inspect pipes and discovered that there was no sealant/ caulk around the backside of the freestanding bathtub. He applied a heavy amount of dark grey sealant all around the back edges of the tub and on the tile- stating this is why the water leaked.

The home builder and investor took full responsibility and initially agreed to do what's needed to inspect the "shower pan/ water proofing" below the bathtub. We added this shower leak to our "one year home warranty list" and now the builder is telling us that the problem was fixed by adding the sealant behind the tub. Builder also recently told me that the plumber plugged a hole in the pea trap when he had the ceiling opened up- first I'd heard of this! It doesn't seem like a hole in the tub drain would have caused the leak we experienced. The leak would have occurred after filling the bathtub and the amount of water on the kitchen floor would have been much greater. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of at this point.

Questions: If water leaks under a freestanding tub, should there be a proper water proofing in place to keep it from leaking to the subfloor and subsequent lower level? Should I be satisfied that we have not had a leak since sealant was placed behind the tub? Should I be concerned that something below the tub, possibly the water proofing around the exterior tub drain hole is faulty?

IMG_6338.jpegIMG_6340.jpegIMG_6339.jpeg

The only way you could have a water tight floor would be to have the whole floor a shower liner with two drains, one for shower water and another floor drain behind the tub with an indirect tub connection.

This way the entire floor would be waterproof.

The liner would need to create a water tight seal to each of the drains (2)

The caulk job looks terrible. I’d take pics and send to the builder. Then I’d want the tub removed and the drain checked from the top and see what’s going on.

The only way you could have a water tight floor would be to have the whole floor a shower liner with two drains, one for shower water and another floor drain behind the tub with an indirect tub connection.

This way the entire floor would be waterproof.

The liner would need to create a water tight seal to each of the drains (2)

The caulk job looks terrible. I’d take pics and send to the builder. Then I’d want the tub removed and the drain checked from the top and see what’s going on.
Thank you... this is in line with what I was thinking. Just want to make sure my request is not unrealistic or unnecessary! I appreciate your response!

In a wet room you have to have multiple layers of water proofing and they all tie into the one drain that penetrates into that room. It seems to me that the tub has a drain connected to it and water is getting around that connection. To me you are just asking for trouble trying to water proof the whole circumference of that tub skirt. Why not a free standing tub that just dumped onto the shower floor that is water proof already

Back