Expansion Tank blew last night...help!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TennesseeGirl66

Reaction score
We have a 50 gallon gas water heater...approaching the 7 year mark...and it had an expansion tank on the top. I woke up to the sound of water last night and found the expansion tank spurting water at the ceiling, causing the drywall in the garage to become soaked and the ceiling over that part of the garage to collapse resulting in a waterfall in my garage. My husband and brother got the water heater turned off and the water turned off. The valve on the top of the expansion tank was loose, according to my brother.

My question is...does this sound like I'm needing an easy repair and reset, or a whole new water heater? I'm getting ready to call a plumber but wanted some insight first.

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

It would depend on whether you were going to put in a homeowner's insurance claim. If so, call a plumber and get a complete fresh start. If not, fix the loose valve and then give a good inspection on anything that got wet.

Back