Electronic Float valve question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimp

Reaction score
Due to a low yield well I'm adding a 500 gallon water storage tank to my system. My current setup is a 1/2hp 2 wire submersed pump operated by the standard setup of a pressure switch with a 90gallon (I think) pressure tank. My plans are to move the pressure tank on the output of the storage tank (placed after a new external 2nd jet pump which has it's own pressure switch) and to install an electronic float valve on the storage tank to regulate the filling of the tank. My question is does this electronic float valve replace the pressure switch I currently use (before the storage tank) and have wires that run to a control box that I also plan on installing with a preotective kick-off switch? And would a control box work on my 2-wire submersible pump? I'm fairly sure it's a 2-wire and not a 3-wire due to my inderstanding that a 3-wire would require a control box to work and I don't currently have one.
[email protected]

Two wire pumps don't need a control box. As long as the contacts in the float switch are large enough to handle the current of the well pump, you just run the wires through the float switch before going to the motor, the same way you wire to a pressure switch. If the contacts in the float switch are to small, you have to wire the float switch through a contactor or relay.

Here is a good dry well protection device that works with 2 or 3 wire pumps.

http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/pdf/sensor-brochure-front.pdf

Yes, upon further research I've realized I don't have or need a control box. I settled on the pumptec (http://www.franklin-electric.com/media/documents/m1502_pumptec_manual_r2_09-08.pdf) for protection. My main concern now is that I want to maintain the same filtering system which currently has my water filtered after the pressure pump in my crawlspace, but since that's going to be moved to other side of the storage tank I'm concerned that without that additional pressure in the line it may stress my submersible pump too much having filters in that location. I do want to continue filtering the water BEFORE it goes into the storage tank. I have a pretty good well, it just has a bit too much iron in it. Actually I double filter it with not-too-dense filters as a precaution, I know that can be bad if they get clogged but I keep an eye on them regularly. Any advice on the filtering? Will the strength of the 1/2 hp pump itself be sufficient to push the water through a filter into the 500 gallon storage tank?

Most pump for home wells are designed to pump under pressure. Pumping through the filters shouldn't hurt the pump, since you are pumping into a unpressurized storage tank. Just be sure there is a pressure relief valve somewhere before the filters.

Back