Electronic Descalers: Do They Work?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caduceus

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
My brother-in-law recently bought a condo in Georgia and mentioned that he has an electronic descaler on his electric hot water tank. I am not familiar with them and some plumbers and suppliers that I've talked to state that they don't work anyways.
Any comments or experiences with them would be appreciated. I have read some manufacturer details on the effectiveness, but an unbiased opinion is needed. Thanks.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with them either.
Is it supposed to prevent scale from forming on fixtures do to hard water.
Is its purpose to change the polarity of the hard water like a water softener?

I have nothing to add, but wanted to say hi to Cad, since he hasn't been around in awhile!

Snake oil and hoodwinkerie. They don't work. Period. When I was just starting out working with my Dad, we were in a guys basement priming the pump. I saw this red plastic gadget attached to the 3/4" main line. It was about the size of a pack of Luckies. It had a magnet inside. I asked the guy what it was and he told me that the guy who sold it to him said it would align the molecules in the water and would magically make his water soft. He said it never did a thing except make his wallet a bit lighter.

I still have those big magnets strapped to my 2" PVC water line leading to the pool, which I was told makes the water softer. I laughed when the company installed it (for free I might add), and I laugh today. Pure bunk, but it does make for a great conversation piece.

There are several manufacturers out there who use a lot of words to explain what seems like a simple classroom science experiment. Their theory is that the calcium carbonate does not attach to the piping, remains in suspension at a microscopic level and is then flushed out of the piping when used. Somehow this keeps scale from building up on the hot water tank elements thus increasing the lifetime of the tank and reducing maintenance costs. It would be my guess that by suspending the calc. carb. in the water system, especially in a 40 gallon top feed tank, there would be an increase in the build up at the tank. The tank becomes a reservoir for the suspended calcium.
Thanks for the input and keep the opinions comin'.
I have only been able to pop into the forum occasionally due to a heavy work load from the company and family.
Once the craziness dies down, I'll have more time to play in the forum. Thanks, havasu.

Back