Electrical tape on pvc to hold disposal connector

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtim

Reaction score
So it’s kind of hard to see because both are black but wrapped around pvc is electrical tape. Plumber cut pvc pipe to short and used that to help keep it pulled over and around the pvc.. I have never seen anyone do this but I was not a plumber and only did minor plumbing to ice machines, disposals, dish machines and such In commercial kitchens. Luckily my parents never use the disposal or I feel like it would gave started leaking due to vibration long ago. So basically I am asking how acceptable is this and how peeved would you be if a plumber did this in your house as opposed to getting his butt up and getting a new slightly longer section of pvc. I personally had and still have high standards and expectations when doing any trade work I have knowledge in. I extend this to people I would train. People who would call me to pick my brain for refrigeration equipment repair advice. I also expect this from people I or in this case my parents paid good money for work. Or am I being an anal pain thinking we barely avoided mold and water damage...

Attachments

• D7046F91-41CB-4A84-BA22-9795E0485345.jpeg
    D7046F91-41CB-4A84-BA22-9795E0485345.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Complaining won’t fix this problem.

You should call back the plumber who did this work.

Disposals push out drain water pretty fast, it might come popping off from there.

However, it is easy and cheap to fix yourself.

Post a wider shot showing the whole drain line under the sink.

It looks like you just need a straight length of 1 1/2 inch tubular pvc.

It will be stuck a little deeper into the rubber clamp fitting at the disposer, until it bottoms out, and will be held on the right by the slip nut and washer there.

I can’t see enough of that right hand connection, and what else it leads to.

The piece of pvc drain will cost about $3.00.

Complaining won’t fix this problem.

You should call back the plumber who did this work.

Disposals push out drain water pretty fast, it might come popping off from there.

However, it is easy and cheap to fix yourself.

Post a wider shot showing the whole drain line under the sink.

It looks like you just need a straight length of 1 1/2 inch tubular pvc.

It will be stuck a little deeper into the rubber clamp fitting at the disposer, until it bottoms out, and will be held on the right by the slip nut and washer there.

I can’t see enough of that right hand connection, and what else it leads to.

The piece of pvc drain will cost about $3.00.
Yes I could easily fix it myself but I wasn’t paid master plumber wages to install a new sink. That’s not the point. I asked how pissed off you would be if you paid to have things like that done.... not how easily it is fixed. As I said I worked on commercial disposals And everything in a commercial kitchen equipment wise. So I figured it would be assumed I knew how easily it is fixed by my comment about him waking his butt to his truck to get another section of pvc..... it is to short simply and nothing more. He wrapped electrical tape around the pvc to hold the disposal taught towards the drain because of it being to short. He basically built a little lip to try to hold it together by the strength of pipe clamp. If i remember right I replaced a few mounting gaskets from disposals not being down but pulled to one side which then the vibration cuts through it. I didn’t even want to get into the molasses pace he moved or insane bill for this amount of effort. I really don’t mean this response in a nasty way to you I am trying to see if I should be as peeved as I am or not. To me it’s an apprentice who just started this crap or a DIY sort of move not master plumber level.

Yes I could easily fix it myself but I wasn’t paid master plumber wages to install a new sink. That’s not the point. I asked how pissed off you would be if you paid to have things like that done.... not how easily it is fixed. As I said I worked on commercial disposals And everything in a commercial kitchen equipment wise. So I figured it would be assumed I knew how easily it is fixed by my comment about him waking his butt to his truck to get another section of pvc..... it is to short simply and nothing more. He wrapped electrical tape around the pvc to hold the disposal taught towards the drain because of it being to short. He basically built a little lip to try to hold it together by the strength of pipe clamp. If i remember right I replaced a few mounting gaskets from disposals not being down but pulled to one side which then the vibration cuts through it. I didn’t even want to get into the molasses pace he moved or insane bill for this amount of effort. I really don’t mean this response in a nasty way to you I am trying to see if I should be as peeved as I am or not. To me it’s an apprentice who just started this crap or a DIY sort of move not master plumber level.

Honestly the utter ease at which this could have been fixed or I should say done right the first time is one of the more Irritating things about it...

how new is the installation, you have 2 options , call him back and see if he will make it right, or do make it right yourself, yes its laziness but for the amount of time you go back and forth with phone calls and waiting, sounds like you could rectify it yourself, i find getting angry/stressed out,wastes to much energy.

Did you take it apart. Are you sure the pipe doesn't go in all the way. I never did like the disposals that have
that rubber boot hanging on side of it.

...Luckily my parents never use the disposal...

If they don't use the disposal, remove it; your plumbing will be simpler under the sink. We have had visitors to the forum here that have had issues with disposals and or dishwashers that "never get used". Best to simplify if there are things not being used. These appliances are best used, not sitting around.

Latest posts

Back