Ejector Pit Discharge Pipe; Does it HAVE to be straight?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabens

Reaction score
The discharge pipe of the ejector pit in my basement goes straight up, which I think is fairly usual. The pit, though, is several feet away from the wall in the basement and I would like to try and reclaim some of the 'air space' over the pit for a particular project. I was wondering if there is any disadvantages to using 90 degree elbows so that the discharge and vent pipes hug the floor and wall rather than run straight up from the pit? I realize that there may several factors that should be considered before there is a definite answer, so please let me know what other information I should provide. If I may ask, though, if there is a short answer where putting 90 degree elbows in these pipes does not create a problem, please let me know, as well. See the drawing below.

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 5.32.23 PM.png
Thank you in advance!

Greg

Agree with Geofd, because if you use two regular 90 elbows, the pump has a hard time getting started.
The pump needs to be able to push up a big slug of water pretty easily, to maintain its prime and keep pumping.

Too much back pressure and it might just be stirring up water in the pit, not pumping.

The 90’s and the short piece of horizontal pipe at the bottom will cause head pressure.

It’ll probably still work fine. Consider using 2 45 degree pressure pipe fittings instead of long sweep drainage fittings to make your 90’s.

Use Unistrut bolted to the floor with Unistrut clamps holding the pipe secure to the floor
so you do not cause a tripping hazard. the only down side I see in your plan is the tank lid needs to be removeable and sealed. as long as you can accomplish that and mount the valve, union, ck valve outside the tank you should be golden.
swing cks like to be mounted in the horizontal and spring cks it really does not matter

consider, breaking the floor and installing the pipe under the concrete. zero trip hazard and zero problems with storage, makes for a cleaner job, but is not required

Latest posts

Back