Effluent found next to drain field

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RalphM

Reaction score
My home and septic system is about 28 years old as was pumped 2 years ago. I have, what seems to be, a couple of construction debris trenches parallel and downhill to my drain field which started to collapse 3-4 years ago. With the heavy rains south-central PA this summer, the collapse of the tranches seems to be increasing. Recently I noted on a non-rainy week some effluent bubbling up at the trench closest to the drain field.
My initial thought is that due to the proximity of the trench to the drain field this may just be leakage since the soil may be at near saturation.

Anything I need to look for before calling in a professional? I'd hate to replace the field if I don't have to.

If it’s that close to failing trenches then yes sadly you need to relocate your septic field. Just guessing. Closet thing I am familiar with is a curtain drain. We can’t be any closer than 14’ from widest edge of any rain water drainage. In Tn. I don’t think your house will feel any effects but leaving alone will start to have an odor.

Latest posts

Back