Educational Experiments

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Long

Reaction score
I am hooking up 2 over water pressure tanks (42 gal each) together, for some closed system experiments such as aerating and de-aerating. I would like to run water through the tanks continuously for periods such as 8 hours or longer at 45 psi. I am assuming I will have to pressurize the system to 45 and then turn on the pump to move the water so less stress there. Any suggestions for a durable pump? I assume most lightweight solutions will over heat and maybe a submersible in a tank to stay cool? No idea. Would love to hear ideas for this solution!

Also any ideas on how to use the pump as the source of pressure in one tank while releasing the pressure in the second tank while drawing water from it back in to the pressurized tank?

Thank you!

Don't quite understand what you are trying to do? But circulating water over and over will cause hot water. Using a submersible in the tank will be even worse as the submersible motor is water cooled and will cause even more heat than the pump. Water is usually aerated going into a storage tank. Then a booster pump in the storage tank sends water wherever needed with pressure.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpgLOW YIELD WELL_and storage with two PK1A one pipe.jpgLOW YIELD WELL_SUB_PK1A.jpg

Thank you for replying! If I put a pump into water it would not be circulating the water it sits in. But looks like the water bath could get pretty hot? Better to go with a non-submersible? Since I am using 42 gal tanks I will have the pump outside of the system.
Your 2nd diagram is what I plan for controlling the water volume in the pressurized tank (the over water tanks I am using have 4 ports and a 1/4 port). One of the things I haven't figured out yet is the best way to send the pressurized water to the next tank and let it be unpressurized there for de-aerating. Thank you!

My 2 tanks are well water type closed pressure tanks so won't be able to do a large float valve. Was planning on 2 float switches to control water level. I guess that isn't quite like your 2nd diagram. Maybe a little more detail for one experiment. The exterior pump pushes water through the pressurized tank. I will have a venturi tube adding air as it enters the pressurized tank. as the water passes through to the next unpressurized tank the water will de-aerate. Might have the 2nd tank in a heated condition. Thank you for the ideas!

The exterior pump will have to produce more than 45 PSI as you will need a pressure differential to make the venturi work. Then water going from a pressurized tank to an unpressurized tank will need some kind of valve or orifice restriction or you will never get the pump to build pressure in the pressurized tank.

OOH! Did not think about the venturi pressure. Since it is a closed system experiment maybe I can put it somewhere on the backside before going into the pressure tank? Hate to do 2 pumps or some other silly complication. I will study up on industry standard aeration. Thank you again Valveman!

You can use a compressor to push air into a pressurized tank. You can also use a hot water circulator pump to circulate water from one pressurized tank to another.

You can use a compressor to push air into a pressurized tank. You can also use a hot water circulator pump to circulate water from one pressurized tank to another.

Hot water circulator pumps don’t like air.

I am making up some diagrams and an explanation of an experiment and still working on those to upload here. Also researching venturi mixing of gas so air is efficiently absorbed into water. If i have a pump on the downflow side of the venturi would this be enough to decrease the pressure on the downflow end of the venturi to allow it to do its magic? Thank you!

I am making up some diagrams and an explanation of an experiment and still working on those to upload here. Also researching venturi mixing of gas so air is efficiently absorbed into water. If i have a pump on the downflow side of the venturi would this be enough to decrease the pressure on the downflow end of the venturi to allow it to do its magic? Thank you!

Then you would be sucking air into the pump, which isn't good.

I guess a compressor as you suggested, attached to the tank would be plenty. Since it is a closed system going round and round between the 2 tanks, then the water would be saturated with gas simply by the pressure and the constant rotation. The de-aeration tank wouldn't take that much gas off as it circulates through so keeping the pressurized tank fully aerated doesn't require a venturi or anything fancy?

So some explanation of the first experiment. My FANTASY is to have a system that could take thick wildfire smoked air and pass the gas through water and then de-aerate to get "pure" air out of it. Lots of unknowns for me. I do know that air absorbed into water takes on oxygen better than nitrogen so the product may have too much oxygen come out on the other end. Quick research is confusing on whether that is really a problem or not, and if so, then other solutions to add to the final process...

Some example small details. The intake for polluted air could be a milk crate with blankets on it to cut out a lot of the particulates. Might place the 2 tanks so the de-aeration tank is in the sun and the pressurized tank is in on the other side of the wall in air conditioning or at least in the basement. Might run the lines underground for cooling the water returning to the pressurized tank. What ever it takes to make the most passive possible system. My fantasy is to hook a garbage bag up to the "pure" air outlet and see it fill with gas and then a cheap oxygen tester to see if the product is higher percentage of oxygen than regular air as proof that the system works... :) fantasies fantasies - thanks for your input guys! I will get that graphic up today. That always helps for brainstorming. I worked on it some last night. Just gotta spit out the graphic for uploading.

Oh yah. worst case scenario for me is boiling the water to get the gas back out. Not exactly a low upkeep passive system. Though I can always use a hot water tank for gassing.

So a brainstorming pic. Pic is of 2 tanks standing up. One or both on their head depending on how the 5 ports plus the 1/4 port are used. Plenty of brainstorm quality ideas in the picture. More silly ideas in that vein... Looking like a 3rd tank, like 15 gal, for enabling aeration? If using a submersible pump, sit it in the same vat that holds the de-aeration tank to keep that tank warm for its purposes? Most likely dumping the venturi since aeration may be the easiest part.

Fantasy.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back