DWV options?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ktaadn

Reaction score
Will this work? Please excuse my amateur MSPaint job - I'm not an artist! We'd like to add a 2nd bath above our current bath, but I'm not sure how to vent properly, or even if our current setup in our 100+ year old house is adequate. The whole stack would be vented to the roof at the "end of the line". Thanks!

Bath.jpg

Looking at your drawing, it seems that the line that you are proposing draining the new bathroom into is currently serving as a vent for the entire house.

It would not be wise to drain the bathroom through this vent without providing a new vent for the fixtures below.

It might be easier to just run a seperate drain line for the new bathroom than trying to properly vent the 1st floor fixtures. Is that a possibility?

I can easily add a whole new drain line for the proposed bathroom, but what is the best way to vent it? Should I tie into the existing vent, or add a second vent to the roof? I'd like to minimize my roof penetrations as much as possible!

You should be able to tie it into the existing vent.

Run the new drain line, vent the new fixtures, run the vent at least 6" above the rim of the new sink. After that point, you can turn the vent horizontal to run to the existing vent.

You should be able to tie it into the existing vent.

Run the new drain line, vent the new fixtures, run the vent at least 6" above the rim of the new sink. After that point, you can turn the vent horizontal to run to the existing vent.

Thanks for the advice! Sounds like a plan...

Latest posts

Back