DWV Layout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbstnr

Reaction score
Hi! I'm redoing the dwv in the upstairs of the house after I found that the cast iron was rotted so bad it was basically a trough. Anyway, This is how I have the system dry fitted right now. I have a few questions, 1. Will the tub be correctly wet vented if I leave it the way it is now? I know that's how is was done but I'm not sure. 2. They had a side-hub inlet 90 right at the closet elbow before but I'd like to run it under the joist to a wye. Is that ok? 3. for the lav vent do I run the sanitary tee teh way in the photo or opposite? 4. Is there anything else I should change/be concerned about? Thanks for any help! Pics are in the link

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk5E6Nyh

if you have room for all of thdse 90. then you have room to stack a tee
run your 3" over to directly under your sink.turn up with a 3"90. put a 3" tee on top of the 90
pointed at your toilet. turn up under the toilet with a 4x3 90

out the top of the tee. install a 3x2 bushing. stub up with 2" to the lav. turn out of the wall with a 2x2x1 1/2 tee

run a new line to the tub, using a 3x2 wye ,,installed in the 3" pipe before it gets to the sink

questions?

Frodo,

Is yellow paper always your paper of choice? Or do you not have white paper where you're from?

Just curious

Sorry I posted too quickly and didn't really explain enough. It used to have a side inlet, I do not want to use one, since it's against code. That abs is the old sink/tub drain. They are currently tied together for the tub to wet vent. I was going to run it down to the 1 1/2 inlet on the wye. How should I run the closet bend to meet the pipe where it sits? The sink is not further along the line, it actuality comes before the toilet. It had that many bends before with the cast iron. Should I angle the long turn 90 up to a 45 to vertical to meet the toilet flange? Also, the sanitary tee is for the dry vent to the roof. If that wye is on it's back I can't use it? Do I use a sanitary tee instead for the 1-1/2 inlet?

image.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry that picture was the wrong way. Trying to do this on my phone. Here's another one.

image.jpg

If you're not in a hurry I would like to add my 2 cents but I'll have to get back to it maybe tomorrow. It would involve trimming and reinforcing the floor joist and moving some water lines maybe. You only need a 2" vent for the toilet.
If it's already 3" going up through the roof you can increase the vent size from 2" to 3" as you go up. But you will want to tie in the sink and tub lateral after the vent for the toilet. I don't see a vent for the tub.

I tried to grab a couple of your photos so I can make notes on them and repost but could not download from flicker . I did get to see a lot of the other pictures you have. Cute and Clean little dog . Why is someone kicking someone else in the NUTS?? :eek:
You can easily attach photos as attachments. easier to look at.

I tried to grab a couple of your photos so I can make notes on them and repost but could not download from flicker . I did get to see a lot of the other pictures you have. Cute and Clean little dog . Why is someone kicking someone else in the NUTS?? :eek:
You can easily attach photos as attachments. easier to look at.

Mr. David, cant you r-click the image
choose. save image as
to your down loads?
open down loads, click on image, click edit
edit, then save ?

Thanks for all your help Frodo. I really appreciate it. I've attached two pictures of possible layouts. I know they're not the best but hopefully they'll illustrate what I'm trying to say. They used to have the tub wet vented right into that wye that ended in the side outlet off of the closet bent, which I am hearing is a huge no-no. so I wasn't sure if the tub would still be wet vented if I left those two lines together. There's not a ton of play vertically because of where they cut the joists, but if I can run over to where the soffit starts, then I have more room and can fix the cut joists as well. either way, what fitting can I use to start the vent for the tub? It's pretty much touching the underside of the subfloor already, so would a fitting on it's side run over to the wall, then a 90 up to the roof work? Thank you so much for the help.

Option 1.jpg

Option 2.jpg

here is 2 ways to vent the tub, pick one. LOL
you will need a 2" ptrap with a 2 x 1 1/2" bushing in it.
the trap needs to be 1 1/2" from the face of the stud to center of the pipe
and if a 30" tub 14 1/2" from side wall to center pipe
if 32" tub 15 1/2"
also, a tub, needs a 5' long treated 2x4 nailed to the wall to support the edge

scan0001.jpg

Last edited:
I understand you do not want to run the pipe at a 45 degree angle across the joists
it is a pain in the arse. BUT. 90's is not good plumbing, stuff gets hung up at 90"s
and cause you to pay a plumber 300 bucks.

IF YOU MUST use a 90. use 2 45's with a 6" or 12" pipe inbetween them
making it a big long sweep.

Option 2.jpg

I understand you do not want to run the pipe at a 45 degree angle across the joists
it is a pain in the arse. BUT. 90's is not good plumbing, stuff gets hung up at 90"s
and cause you to pay a plumber 300 bucks.

IF YOU MUST use a 90. use 2 45's with a 6" or 12" pipe inbetween them
making it a big long sweep.

Frodo, could you explain the "roll vent" to me? I'm trying to look at the drawing but I'm not completely understanding. Sorry :/ newbie here. Also, are long sweep 90's still not ok? I'm going to try to redo as much as possible but I do have two long sweep 90s.

Mr. David, cant you r-click the image
choose. save image as
to your down loads?
open down loads, click on image, click edit
edit, then save ?

No His link WAS to images on flicker which are htm files and won't let me save image. Ask if I want to open in word Perfect. now that I made comment about his other pictures I think maybe he changed the accessibility to them because now I just get a Flickr log in page . No pictures.:(

Usually I do just save image to my desk top, Open with paint , make a few comments , save and repost

get a 2" y in your hand, get a 22.5 st fitting or a st. 45 put it into the y [middle] of the fitting
roll the wye up on a 45 degree angle, from the horizontal, turn the fitting to line up to the angle of the line you are plumbing. Clear as mud?

one of you guys, help me out here. I'm a plumber not a wordsmith!!!!

roll it so that the take off is above 45 degrees from the horizontal.

******if you use 2- st 22.5 fittings its way easier*********

A rolled vent is like how you have the 2 " connected to the 3" just after the closet bend. roll the vent 45 degrees (minimum) from horizontal

vent.jpg

images.jpg

. Also, are long sweep 90's still not ok? I'm going to try to redo as much as possible but I do have two long sweep 90s.

I hate 90's. a long sweep by code is ok

do i agree with that NO. my opinion
a 90 is for horizontal. to vertical or vertical to horizontal only

no horizontial to horizontal. 2- 45's with a piece of pipe in between
and you will not pay me latter

Back