Dueling Toilets

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf865

Reaction score
Have a condo and the adjacent condo is just a mirror image of ours regarding the floor plan. We discovered a water leak that has obviously been going on for a very long time but that's for another post. When I removed our toilet to check to see if it was the source of the problem I discovered that when the other condo flushes their downstairs toilet, it fills our toilets pipe to within about 5-6" of the flange before it begins to drain back out. Probably does the same to theirs when we flush. Plus over the course of the day the more they flush the lower the water level in our bowl gets. Does the same to theirs. It finally reaches a low threshold where it will stop stealing our water and fortunately is still high enough to prevent sewer gas from entering. My assumption is that there's just a U shaped pipe between them and a T connector somewhere in between that leads off to a shared drain line. Doubt there's a solution to this other than digging up the concrete and putting in a Y instead of a T but what are the other consequences I might be overlooking? Since it only came up as high is it did when there was no resistance on my side, any chance it could be compromising the toilet flange and developing a leak at some point down the road? I've replaced the gasket already when we upgraded the toilet but the flange is below floor level by about 1/3" to 1/2" and cockeyed to boot. Prob going to replace with an Oatey Twist & Set Flange to bring it flush with the floor (or should it be above floor level?) once I build it up with some thinset.

Don't think it could just be the over simplified plumbing of there being a straight line between the two toilets? Which is what I'm assuming there is? Build around 1985 before codes or enforcement were enacted. Going to add a studor valve under the sink once I rebuild all that from the mystery leak tear outs. Figured it couldn't hurt? Not even sure our roof vent goes all the way to the ground floor. Another thing to check.

Don't think it could just be the over simplified plumbing of there being a straight line between the two toilets? Which is what I'm assuming there is? Build around 1985 before codes or enforcement were enacted. Going to add a studor valve under the sink once I rebuild all that from the mystery leak tear outs. Figured it couldn't hurt? Not even sure our roof vent goes all the way to the ground floor. Another thing to check.

Could be a lot of things. The most likely is a drain obstruction. Drain obstructions usually get worse.

Codes were enacted in 1985..... If there is a basement find the main drain stack and see if there is a inspection
sticker on it. We used put the toilets in all the time the way you are describing yours. They go into a cross fitting.
Get the drain cleaned out like TW suggested because it sounds like its plugged .

This is in the downstairs 1/2 bath where all the pipes are in concrete. HOA would cover fix if outside of building, anything inside is our problem.

Back