Dual Water Heaters

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawren5

Reaction score
My wife and I purchased a house that has two 80 gallon water heaters connected in series. The house isn't that big and it's just the two of us so we can easily get by with just one of the heaters. If I want to remove one of the heaters from the system, can I just turn off the power to it or do I need to rework the plumbing and bypass it?

If you take a picture of your setup, I'm sure one of us could quickly help you out to resolve your issue.

Here's a photo of the setup. Cold water comes into the tank on the right and exits the left tank through a recirculating pump.

IMG_2663.JPG

Just unplug the right one. cold water coming in is still chlorinated so the tank will just cycle water through it.
OR you could take the connector between the 2 heaters and connect the cold inlet on left heater directly to the cold suppl and bypass the right tank

You should have a block valve some where under a remote sink for that recirc pump on the heater.
It should use the cold supply as a return for the hot.Search for a grundfros COMFORT system for more info of ask here

I agree. By shutting down the first tank, it will temper the cold water to make it heat quicker, and also provides you another 80 gallons of drinking water in the event of a disaster.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. It looks like pulling the breaker on the right tank is the way to go.
The recirc pump is a Watts unit which I only turn on when we have guest staying with us as the guest bath is on the opposite end of the house from the water heaters.

The relief lines can't be tied together. They must be ran separately like in Frodo's picture.

Latest posts

Back