Drum traps in slab

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Allen

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for information on Texas code about drum traps. This house was built in 1952 and the drum traps are embedded in the concrete. City inspector says I have to remove them. It's going to cost me 1500$. Does code require existing drum traps be removed during a remodel?

most codes require you to bring up to code what ever your working on it wil be to your benefit make sure there is a wayto snake that trap once the tubs in you wont be able to get at it were i live there are many slabs......even exposed
drum traps aren't easy to snake thru.... you will thank yourself on your 1st stoppage there are other things you should consider I'm sure your plumber will advise you

Well the lids are easily accessible. Just the cans are in the concrete. So cleaning it out wouldn't be a problem at all. Plumber said there isn't anything wrong with them and they were perfectly clean when I bought the house which was a foreclosure. So I doubt they were taken care of well for a while now.

most codes require you to bring up to code what ever your working on it wil be to your benefit make sure there is a wayto snake that trap once the tubs in you wont be able to get at it were i live there are many slabs......even exposed
drum traps aren't easy to snake thru.... you will thank yourself on your 1st stoppage there are other things you should consider I'm sure your plumber will advise you
that's good that you can access and they are clean as long as your allowed to keep them .....i have worked on a few slabs and traps were buried and no way to repipe

that's good that you can access and they are clean as long as your allowed to keep them .....i have worked on a few slabs and traps were buried and no way to repipe

My plumber doesn't even want to do the work. I called city inspector today and asked if we could keep them and he said he would consult the code and get back to me. So... Maybe he prefers they get taken out but it's not required. Crossing my fingers. The plumber already put in the new tubs and all new pex and valves etc. He will have to rip all of it out and some framing too to get those out. Big mess.

My plumber doesn't even want to do the work. I called city inspector today and asked if we could keep them and he said he would consult the code and get back to me. So... Maybe he prefers they get taken out but it's not required. Crossing my fingers. The plumber already put in the new tubs and all new pex and valves etc. He will have to rip all of it out and some framing too to get those out. Big mess.
hope it works out....slabs are not your regular house with everything being buried....

Back