Drop-in Kitchen Sink has very little overlap, barely 1/4 inch

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoom123

Reaction score
My new drop-in kitchen sink has an overlap around the perimeter of barely 1/4 inch. Is there a manufacturer that provides more overlap, perhaps 1/2 inch or more? I would feel more comfortable with a greater overlap. The sink I am looking for would be a stainless steel, double bowl, kitchen sink, 33 x 19 not a 33 x 22.

You would need to measure yours then look online at sink specifications that show a larger lip, if there is one.

I think some manufacturers make a bezel, which is a narrow rim liner which goes into the old sink cutout, to allow for a better connection.
But the proper sized sink would be easier, cheaper, and look better.

I have spent a considerable amount of time looking at sinks at Home Depot, Lowes, Welker McKee and on-line. They all provide a miniscule amount of overlap, about 1/4 inch. I was hoping someone in the forum might know of a manufacturer that makes sinks with more overlap.

By the way, my "drop in" cooktop overlaps the cut out by 1 inch on all sides, Nice! Why don't sink manufactures provide the same?

Was this cutout made for your new sink, or a previous sink?
It sounds like the cutout is just too big.

The cut out was made for the new sink.

The overlap is determined by the distance between the rail and the edge of the sink. As you can see in the attached picture, for my new sink, this is about 1/4 inch. Therefore,IMG_20210719_191354.jpg if the cut out was perfectly made, the most overlap I could achieve would be 1/4 inch. A sloppy cut out would make the overlap even less.

A 1/4 inch overlap is pretty lousy. It is like the sink is on the verge of falling through! I have looked all over and every sink has this lousy 1/4 inch overlap. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that provides a reasonable overlap, something like 1/2 inch or more?

If anyone should come upon this thread and know of a manufacturer who makes a drop in sink with more than 1/4 inch overlap (thumbnail attached; larger picture in previous post) please let me know. I will routinely check for new postings.

IMG_20210719_191354.jpg

Thank you all.

A better picture of my disappointment with drop-in sinks is below.

Like I said earlier, if the cut-out was perfectly made, the most overlap you could achieve would be 1/4 inch. Pretty lousy. I suspect that most cutouts are not perfect and therefore the overlap would be even less than 1/4 inch. Hence there are probably a lot of drop-in kitchen sinks supported by miniscule overlaps around the perimeter. I wonder why the sink manufactures make this so tiny? Also, like I said earlier, my cooktop is also a drop-in and I have more than an inch overlap on all four sides. Kudos to the people who made the cooktop!

IMG_20210720_101617.jpg

It should be fine if it’s a quality heavy gauge sink. 1/4” is enough.

How much did you pay for the sink ? What brand is it ? What gauge stainless ?

I think the sink you bought is standard for a trailer home/mobile home.

That may help you find a better replacement, but then again it may limit the quality you find.

Check on Elkays website.

Back