Dripping main sewer stack

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffjot

Reaction score
This is a real puzzle, and I'm hoping it isn't something bad :/
Just purchased a house 'as-is'..... already closed on it and the deal is done. Its a small house that was divided into a duplex.
The second floor residence is reached by outside deck stairs.
What they did was, they closed off the original stairs as a closet inside the house. And on the landing of the stairs, inside the closet--- they put the water heater for the upstairs apartment. So the water is split into two meters, and two water heaters.
Now, the sink, toilet and shower upstairs, as well as the kitchen faucet have been run all at once, for a long period, flushing, etc. And there apparently is no blockage at all- the drains are working fine.
Except for one thing.

Obviously they added these drain pipes for the upstairs and connected it to the main stack. They look to have rusted through and been patched. After running the water for a long time, everything drains as I said, but there is some slight dripping coming from the drain stack here for awhile, every time.

What I'm worried about, and the only possible thing I can think of..... is that water is backed up and sitting always in the drain stack, sort of like a giant sink trap. And maybe it moves, when the faucets/toilets are used upstairs?
Maybe by an ill-thought-out drain stack assembly?
Or am I overthinking this.
How could the main stack be dripping, and apparently..... rusting through like this?

Attachments

• pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 14
  • pipe2.jpg
    pipe2.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 14
  • pipe3.jpg
    pipe3.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 14
  • pipe4.jpg
    pipe4.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 15
Oh buddy, that's not a great setup. Do you have condensate draining into this piping anywhere?

I think it's time to replace with plastic.

I don't have the time or money to start house rehab adventures just to have more appealing setups. This is a rental and I need the income right now pretty bad. I'm going to have to go what what is there for the present.
What do you mean by condensate, can I ask?
Could it not be something blocking the pipe stack? I just don't see how water could be backing up.
The little water heater is brand new, I was told.

I don't think it's a matter of appealing. Your system is leaking and old. The inside of that pipe is probably hanging things up all of the time. If your system is dripping that means 1.you have a leak 2.your water isn't leaving 3.you have something leaking into it.

Condensate comes from things that make heat or cool the air. The drips that come from those appliances is condensate and it's acidic.

You’ve got problems, that pipe needs to be replaced and the heater installation corrected. What is all over the bottom of the cast? Looks like they patched a leak, looking below it on the stairs there looks to be signs of water damage and previous leaking. Galvanized pipe corrodes over time, especially if it has a kitchen draining into it. The T&P on your heater needs to be properly piped for code in your area and it should have a saftey pan. Around here you would never pass a rental inspection with that mess, good luck

Back