Drip System questions and help!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeowner52

Reaction score
Hi, I'm struggling to find information and help with my septic system. We are in western Washington state and have a residential drip system. It seems very few people are familiar with our type of system. We have had maintenance and repair people over and have gotten conflicting information.

We have been in the house for about 14 years, since it was built. Western washington summers are very dry and every year since we moved in when we let the grass go dormant, the septic field is very easy to see as the grass stays much greener. it was that way when the county inspectors came shortly after we moved in and it passed inspection.

Also, after heavy rains there will be some slightly spongy spots. I know with a normal septic system this and green grass are bad, but are they bad with a drip system?

Our lines are buried about 10-12" deep. We have been told by some it should be 6" and others have said it's fine as is.

The soil over the septic system is not good. There are roots and branches plus large rocks (baseball to softball size but i have pulled a few football sized rocks out). Some have said that is okay, some say the soil above the drip system should be straight sand. Over the years I have dug down at some of the spongy areas and have always found roots, branches and rocks which i removed (i left rocks smaller than a golf ball as i was told that is fine). every time i have dug down to the lines it seemed the dirt got dryer as i went down and the line/emitters were fine.

My understanding with the drip system (based on what i was told) is that it is shallow and meant for the fluid to evaporate up more than drain down. If that is true, then the grass should be greener, right? and after a rain it would be a bit spongy for a bit? But having poor soil over it is probably not good, but should it really be straight sand?

Any help is appreciated. I'm confused and frustrated with all the conflicting information.

Grass is always greener over the field lines.
I wouldn’t worry about it unless it stinks or stays really wet all the time, which would cause it to stink.

Latest posts

Back