draining and venting question.....

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailman62

Reaction score
Ive been trying to get a drain layout for new bath ,don't have a plumb inspector for town to ask so thought I would try here, have shower and toilet on one side and sink on other as shown in diagram,was going to use 4in pipe from toilet and tie into waste line from other bathroom ,vent out through roof if needed , all on first floor (ranch) my questions would be ;
can I tie drains from sink and shower into 4in pipe as shown.
do I need a vent running out roof and if so would 2in be fine. or would vent from other bath which is aprox,. 20ft away take care of new bath.
where would you recommend placement of cleanouts.
any help on this would be great thanks.

xmas 2014 034.jpg

where is existing sewer in relation to this bathroom? which direction is it draining?

can not figure out how to run drain .........if do not know where to run it to

how much height do you have where sewer ties in....from sewer to floor? sewer elevation needed

how far away is sewer tie in, from bath?

xmas 2014 034.jpg

Last edited:
the distance from say the new toilet to the existing sewer line is 16 ft and existing sewer line runs perpendicular to new one, from there to vent for old bathroom is another 7 ft. I am guessing old vent is too far away but not sure,
the pitch for new waste line to old one should work out fine 1/4 per ft.
if my new bath sink is too far away from waste line I guess it would have to have its own vent through roof . also the bath ceiings are vaulted. thanks

thanks for the info and your thoughts on my plan, I have given it more thought and changed it a bit , wanted your input on the layout ,and of coarse I had a few questions;
where the 2in shower drain connects to 3in pipe would
there be anything wrong with doing that way.
should I have a cleanout closer to shower or any place
else.
would 1 1/2 pipe bee fine for shower vent
would it be fine to go from 3in waste pipe to 4 in pipe as
shown in plan.
and lastly my other problem is the sink (which is not shown in this pic.) with it being about 8 ft away from main waste line seems I will have to go up through roof with a vent for that I think. (cathedral ceiling so cant tie in to vent from above).
your imput would be great thanks

002.jpg

answer your questions

using a 3x2 reducer is fine, but your vent needs to be rolled. see drawing

you can put cleanout there. but, why not run a 3'' line all the way to shower, and put co, so you could clean out shower also?
kinda 2 birds with 1 stone

331b25be-8a96-4bc7-89b6-dc17cfa83c77_zps39bf3e99.jpg

good point on running 3in pipe all the way to shower and moving cleanout, what size vent would be best going out roof 3in or 2in?, and im guessing because the sink is too far from this setup (8ft)that I will have to go through the roof on other side of room with its own vent? am I correct on this you think . thanks so much ,big help

Back