Drainage restricted opening

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shy_eez

Reaction score
Hi need help urgently

I think i have engaged incompetent builders.

Im doing a bathroom remodel.
And the floor waste (drain) is not inline and restricts the size of the opening - SEE PHOTO here: New photo by bobby smartypantsNew photo by bobby smartypants

the plumbers response was:
Yes it will not restrict the waste at all.
A 100mm leak control flange has been installed and it’s waterproofed.

The builders response was:
Its fine. Let us do our job.

To me this looks like a HUGE mistake.
I dont want to pay them if this is a mistake.

Please advise urgently!

Thank you

Doesn’t look good to me. I’m not sure how things are done in a Australia.

Don't pay till finished. If it's messed up at the end that is when you tell them they need to fix. They might have a plan your not aware of.

FYI - You can post your photo directly on this forum so folks can see it without having to muck around with other websites. Just click on "Attach files" and go from there.

Hi need help urgently

I think i have engaged incompetent builders.

Im doing a bathroom remodel.
And the floor waste (drain) is not inline and restricts the size of the opening - SEE PHOTO here: New photo by bobby smartypantsNew photo by bobby smartypants

the plumbers response was:
Yes it will not restrict the waste at all.
A 100mm leak control flange has been installed and it’s waterproofed.

The builders response was:
Its fine. Let us do our job.

To me this looks like a HUGE mistake.
I dont want to pay them if this is a mistake.

Please advise urgently!

Thank you

Is that supposed to be a shower drain?! Even if it's just a floor drain that is way wrong here on the East coast of America.
Should be a solvent welded (glued) drain on the top of the PVC pipe in the ground.
If that is a shower drain or floor drain just Google 'how to install a ** drain' and you should be able to show them pretty quickly that something needs to be changed there.
Good luck, let us know what they say!

I am an old plumbing inspector, call up the local municipality and have them send an inspector. I am thinking that he will refuse it and go have the plumber.

Don't pay till finished. If it's messed up at the end that is when you tell them they need to fix. They might have a plan your not aware of.

What does it mean if they messed up?
Its all tiled up and i cant see anything now.
It looks fine. But i know what is happening underneath. Did they mess up? How can i argue with them?

Tell them your not paying for 3/4 of a drain and that you wanted a full drain. Then if they don't, use the money you saved by not paying them to pay someone to fix it. It's actually a common thing. Never fully pay until AFTER you get the job you wanted.

It doesn't have to work or not work. It's not what you wanted and you are the one paying.

I'm interested in if this is just the rough in part and the room isn't finished enough yet for the rest of the drain. Like someone said earlier, things might be a bit different there. Especially how things are made.

I'm interested in if this is just the rough in part and the room isn't finished enough yet for the rest of the drain. Like someone said earlier, things might be a bit different there. Especially how things are made.
The tiling was finished. Theres nothing more left for the drain apart from the cap. I think they are just incompetent. They put the power point in the wrong location and only realised after all the tiling had been done. Now theres a hole, and they want to remove the tile and replace it. This will obviously compromise the waterproofing because its near the shower i told them not to. I cant believe what builders are capable of. He called me rude for pointing out his mistakes!! Its a shame because they get away with it here in Australia. I can only withhold money, but that risks me not getting the appropriate certificates from them. My hands are tied. Im so stressed about this. This was a large portion of my savings gone to an incompetent builder.

FYI - You can post your photo directly on this forum so folks can see it without having to muck around with other websites. Just click on "Attach files" and go from there.
Sorry it doesn't work on my phone (to attach an image) thats why i added a link.

Just curious to see where this goes. To my untrained eye, I see a “D” (smaller) drain pipe. Once the cover is put on, I would never know. It’s in a shower so my thought is, assuming it can drain shower water fast enough (no standing water while showering) it will work fine...?

Back