Drain stopper stuck in overflow

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Bruni

Reaction score
I need to use the 2nd bathroom in my house as I plan to renovate the main bathroom however the tub is draining very slow . The drain stopper linkage is totally missing and I tried to see if I could fish out the plug that must be stuck down in the overflow but zero luck. Tried putting a scope down there but there's murky water and I can't see anything. Tried a coat hanger, magnet, hooks and can't seem to get it to attach to anything.

Does anyone know what the dimensions are for those plugs? I want to make sure the hook I'm making isn't too big and if I knew how much large the space is I could fashion a better hook and try again.

As a last resort, I luckily have access to the drain via a cutout in the bedroom closet adjacent to the bathroom. Is it easier to continue to fish or should I start removing pipe? I'm not an experience plumber so I wouldn't know the best way to remove the pipe to gain access. See picture. Perhaps someone can give me some tips.

Remove the pipe, pull it out, and start over. Make sure you replace the pipe since I'm sure your original pipe has gouges making the drain stop useless.

Remove the pipe, pull it out, and start over. Make sure you replace the pipe since I'm sure your original pipe has gouges making the drain stop useless.[/QUOTE

I’m not sure which way to disassemble these pipes as I certainly don’t have a wrench that large and don’t want to start trying to unscrew some threads that been soldered on for all I know. I tried with the top thread with the biggest pipe wrench I had and it wouldn’t budge can I apply some heat to the damn thing maybe? I’m not a plumber but I’m certainly up to the task I just don’t know the sequence of things when it comes to pipes

Can you borrow a larger pipe wrench from a neighbor? Can you buy one? Heat itself will not loosen up the pipe so without the tools, you will be up a creek without a paddle unfortunately.

Remove the faceplate on the overflow and the locknut at the base of the overflow pipe. That will allow you to remove it. The linkage for the stopper should be right there.

as john said

on the front of the tub,where the lever for the stopper is
you will see 2 screws. remove the screws
then unscrew the nut i show in the image
pull the pipe up. it will come out

reinstall same as you removed.
the washer under the nbig nut. put a new 1 1/2'' sj washer in

Attachments

• IMG_E0829.JPG
    IMG_E0829.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 13
as john said

on the front of the tub,where the lever for the stopper is
you will see 2 screws. remove the screws
then unscrew the nut i show in the image
pull the pipe up. it will come out

reinstall same as you removed.
the washer under the nbig nut. put a new 1 1/2'' sj washer in

Thanks for mocking up the picture. Faceplate is already removed. That's how I was attempting to do all the fishing.

Attachments

• IMG_0830.JPG
    IMG_0830.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
I was able to remove the bottom nut but the pipe has no play in it whatsoever. Now what should I try.

I got it off. Unfortunately, there's absolutely nothing in there. I can snake all the way to the main drain pipe which is only a half a foot away and it seems clear. Cap on the drain seems like its never been opened since the house was built 100 years ago.

At least try to open that drum trap and clean it out.

Are you sure you don't have something like this for your tub stopper?
polished-chrome-central-brass-drains-drain-parts-su-3359-a-64_1000.jpg
I would guess, when he said, "cap on the drain" he's talking about the cover of the drum trap.
That needs some penetration oil, initial tapping of hammer for vibration and then after a period of time, hammer and chisel on the edge, at an angle to try to get it to loosen up. As shown in picture. (Doesn't look like brass!)
IMG_E0829.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back